When to put immersion chiller in the wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbg

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For many years I have been following the 15 minute before flame out rule but last night was wondering why not put it in for the whole brew? This would eliminate the juggling act pulling the hop basket above the pot while you insert the chiller.

Thanks
Mike

Given the kettle pH if it's a copper IC I would expect it to emit copper ions for the entire time it's in the kettle. Maybe not a great idea.
Otoh, sanitation at boiling temperature is nearly instantaneous...

Cheers!

I just recently gone to EBIAB. After some thought from others, I throw mine (SS IC) in after the boil. I have not had any issues so far ( 6 or 7 brews so far that I have done it this way).

I throw mine in at flame out. By the time I've gathered my hoses to connect it to the faucet it's been, imo, long enough for it to be sanitized. The wort is usually somewhere around 190F+ when I start chilling.

This would eliminate the juggling act pulling the hop basket above the pot while you insert the chiller.

I just recently bought both an IC and a hop spider. Ive been trying to figure out to make that dance more graceful myself haha.

I've been putting it in just short of flame out, maybe 5 ( or less ) minutes out and give it blast with starsan spray 'just in case'.

I just recently bought both an IC and a hop spider. Ive been trying to figure out to make that dance more graceful myself haha.

I've been putting it in just short of flame out, maybe 5 ( or less ) minutes out and give it blast with starsan spray 'just in case'.

I put it in with 10 or 15 min left, I don’t think it matters either way. I also have a hop spider. I lift it up, put the chiller in, then I just hang the spider on the wort chiller for the rest of the boil. Pull it out at the end.

Been putting my copper IC in at flameout for years. Rinse at clean up & star san before dropping it in.

I always clean mine up good at clean up. When I'm waiting for the water to come to a boil, I spray it thoroughly with Star-San and let it air dry. Then at flameout, I drop it in and move the kettle to the garage. By the time I get the hoses hooked up and running it's definitely clean enough I don't worry about contamination.

Back