When to fertilize

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev211

Reaction score
Well the title pretty much says it. I have a second year columbus and will be adopting a rhizome from a HBT member in addition to a few rhizomes on order. My question is when to start fertilizing them. The columbus is off to a good start with a nice little bush of hop shoots starting to grow. I put coffee grounds in the planter all the time, but is it too early to start adding actual fertilizer to the soil as well

I throw some composted manure on my hops early in they spring (last weekend actually). I normally stop fertilizing them in June because too much fertilizer will inhibit them from flowering.

Manure and compost. I add it on top of the crowns when they start sending up shoots. I then use regular ol' MiracleGro up until they reach the top of my trellis. Once the burrs start to form I stop fertilizing. It's still important to give them plenty of water when they flower but fertilizer isn't necessary. If the plants are doing well and look nice and green I wouldn't worry about fertilizer too much.

How often do you fertilize them? How much do you give per plant, per fertilization? Thanks for your help too. Very informative :)

I just follow the directions on the fertilizer package. I add fertilize ever week or 2. Nothing very scientific. What works for me in Maryland won't necessarily work for you. Growing hops is a lot of trial and error but they are very resilient plants. They'll grow even if you do everything wrong!

Manure and compost. I add it on top of the crowns when they start sending up shoots. I then use regular ol' MiracleGro up until they reach the top of my trellis. Once the burrs start to form I stop fertilizing. It's still important to give them plenty of water when they flower but fertilizer isn't necessary. If the plants are doing well and look nice and green I wouldn't worry about fertilizer too much.

Probably shouldn't be throwing it directly on the crowns. Spreading it around crowns is best practice. #1 because the roots around the crown are what need and take up nutrients. #2 to prevent possible disease to the crown.

Back