When to cap out of pasturiser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can you elaborate? I'm assuming that you have finished fermentation, it is in secondary, has been pasteurized with campden tabs and is now batch aging in your secondary, waiting to be bottled. If that is correct, then it's completely up to you and your taste buds. I prefer (if I'm going for a still cider) to bottle within a couple hours of pasteurizing.

However, I generally pasteurize in the bottles as I prefer a sparkling/slightly carbed cider.

Yes finished fermentation and happywith how cider has aged fine in large barrels . Im now wanting to transfer into glass bottles and pasteurise for final finished product . Wasn't sure if you cap before or after pasteurising .

Any advice would be gratefully received

Better to cap before stove top pasteurization. That way there is no chance of anything else dropping into the bottles after. Make sure to have a lid on your pot for safety.

Back