When To Apply Keg Lube to O-Ring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustatorian

Reaction score
I usually apply keg lube to the large o-ring and then sanitize the entire lid to the keg (dunk it in sanitizer). I'm not totally sure that this is the best method though. Will dunking it cause the lube to come off of the o-ring? I assume putting lube on the o-ring after sanitization increases the risk of contamination.

Any suggestions?

I doubt dunking will cause it to come off unless you really swirl it around for a while. That's probably a safer way to go than what I do. I sanitize my lid, sanitize my hands, then apply lube and put the lid on.

Keg lube that I've seen is not water soluble, so it won't rinse off at all.

I stopped using it on the lid orings as it made them sticky and nasty and I had to clean them with solvent. I spray the lid with oring in place generously with starsan just before installing it. I then pull up on the bail and wiggle it so that it sits where it wants to, then lock it down, pressurize it and test with more starsan around the lid. Even with my ancient corny's they usually seal fine.

Keg lube that I've seen is not water soluble, so it won't rinse off at all.

I stopped using it on the lid orings as it made them sticky and nasty and I had to clean them with solvent. I spray the lid with oring in place generously with starsan just before installing it. I then pull up on the bail and wiggle it so that it sits where it wants to, then lock it down, pressurize it and test with more starsan around the lid. Even with my ancient corny's they usually seal fine.

What is the bail?

What is the bail?

The latch/handle on the lid.

When I'm cleaning my kegs, they go through the wash and rinse process, then when I'm reassembling the keg, I'll lube the o-rings and dunk everything in sanitizer. Like jleiii said, keg lube is not water soluble so it will not come off without a scrub or extended soak. I don't know about you, but when I'm done I have a hell of a time getting the keg lube off my hands.

I thought keg lube was for the posts. I have never used it on the lid gasket. I unseat the gasket from the lid and keep it in the starsan bucket before installing it onto the keg.

Keg lube can be used on all o-rings and poppet seals.
I always break down a kicked keg and after cleaning everything I lightly lube all the round rubber bits, put them in a cereal bowl and spray them down with Star San before installing them in the keg...

Cheers!

I take the lid O-ring off and put a TINY amount of keg lube on my thumb and finger then work it all around the O-ring until it is coated but no clumps. Sanitize the lid, dip O-ring in Star-San and put it on. I only do this about every 5th keg fill, if the O-ring looks dry I add some lube. Since my fingers are full of keg lube I do the posts with a thin film and call it good.

Keg lube is meant to be sanitary. I soak everything in starsan and lube all the orings after a blot with a clean paper towel.

Water and/or starsan solution won't remove keg lube. Heck it takes forever just to get that noxious stuff off my hands after lubing the O-rings.

Back