when to aeriate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberjoey80

Reaction score
:drunk: Hi everyone. I picked up a small bottle of 02 and an aeriation stone (which will be here as soon as UPS learns how to read a map correctly). I was just wondering when should I aeriate. I know it is after my wort is cooled and mixed in with the rest of my clean water in the primary fermenter, but do I do it before adding my yeast army or after. Also, is about 1.5 minutes long enough to leave the tank on when I do aeriate? Thanks ahead of time. Also, if you guys/ gals have aeriated, do you tend to have a lot more overflow problems (ie very active yeast) when you introduce oxygen. I got a long hose to vent just in case. I heard this can happen.

You can aerate before ordering the army to work. When I do my brews I have it so that the O2 is barely rising to the surface. It has lasted 10 batches so far but I am due for a new tank. Blowoff tubes are a good thing in my opinion and I use one so that I don't have to worry about overflows. Keep the fermentation temp within the yeast range and you should be a happy camper.

I use a deep tank fish aquarium pump and a 2 micron stone. I'll never have to refill my O2 bottle, as it has a constantly renewable and essentially endless capacity.

Back