When to add raspberries to a rasp. IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foonder

Reaction score
I have a rasperry IPA recipe up next on my massive queue, and I was wondering when the best time to add the raspberries would be. I'm looking to retain the juicy, fruity berry flavor, not so much of the tartness (if that's even possible with raspberries). I figured adding juice either directly to the primary, or the secondary. What do you guys think?
Edit:
Here's the recipe if that helps, or if anyone's interested.
5 lb 2-Row
5 lb Marris Otter
2 lb Carapils

2 oz Chinook (Bittering during the whole boil)
4 oz Simcoe (I'll probably continually hop it for 45 minutes in the middle of the boil)

WL 051 yeast

*I know, I use a ***ton of hops, I like it that way. :D

When to add raspberries to a rasp. IPA?

How about never? :D With the amount of hops that you're adding, the hops are the flavor. Why drown that out with raspberries? Save the fruit for a wheat or a blonde.

I've been toying around with the idea of a blueberry pale ale. I'll probably take the one I have sitting right now and do a small 1 gallon test batch when I rack to secondary/keg.

When to add raspberries to a rasp. IPA?

How about never? :D With the amount of hops that you're adding, the hops are the flavor. Why drown that out with raspberries? Save the fruit for a wheat or a blonde.

I was wanting to say that, but decided against it! ;) Please, it may taste great with rasperries, but don't call it IPA afterwards! :)

Agreed with both here... Raspberries and hops just don't go together. Whenever I've done big hoppy beers, I've just let the hops shine. The only time I flavored a hoppy beer was with jalapenos... But hoppy beers and spicy foods go together very well.

I always had the idea of making a raspberry IPA, and a friend of mine made a Cranberry IPA that was amazing. I'm trying to blend the citrusy, currant-like hops with the raspberry flavor, and I'm not really bombarding it with raspberries. I do more traditional IPA's also, but this is an experiment.

Agreed with both here... Raspberries and hops just don't go together.

I don't know about that. While my initial reaction to seeing the thread title was "are you nuts?", the more I thought about it the more it sounds intriguing. I wouldn't go all out with the raspberries - maybe just a little bit to bring out the passionfruit/apricot qualities of the Simcoe hops.

I don't know about that. While my initial reaction to seeing the thread title was "are you nuts?", the more I thought about it the more it sounds intriguing. I wouldn't go all out with the raspberries - maybe just a little bit to bring out the passionfruit/apricot qualities of the Simcoe hops.

This is exactly what I'm going for, not a crazy fruity chick beer

This is exactly what I'm going for, not a crazy fruity chick beer

I wasn't criticising in my previous post, experiments are good. It's just hard to imagine putting fruit into an IPA is all. ;) My main point was please please please, when it turns out great, give it a new name, preferably a name that doesn't even contain the letters I, P or A in ANY configuration! ;)

Good luck with it, be sure to let us know how it turns out!! :)

Isn't this why we got into brewing to try things? I don't understand why when someone has an idea everyone hoots and hollers if its not to style how else do we create new beers? On a lighter note I found this because I had the same idea after trying a rubarb i though of making a tart ipa with raspberry sounds great.
How did yours turn out?
Maybe will do a split batch one rasp ipa, one rasp rubarb ipa, and one rubarb ipa. I say F-it, if its bad I just wasted $20 bucks for beer for my g/f (if I make it she says its good : ) ) if its good I have 4 gallons of delicious beer.

Oh yeah, and when I did a raspberry I added to secondary but next time I think ill add to primary after fermentation is nearing completion then when I move to secondary I can leave all the raspberry junk.

Latest posts

Back