When to Add 5335 Lactobacillus??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Jsta Porter

Reaction score
Hello All,

I started a lambic here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/lambic-assist-needed-wy5526-108798/

I used 1214 as primary yeast and only innoculated 5526. I wanted to add some acidity and sourness, and thus am thinking of adding 5335 Lactobacillus.

Is it too late for this addition- about two weeks after initial fermentation? Any thoughts on when is the best time to add it?
Should I just pitch the whole pack?

Thanks!!

Oldsock

Reaction score
Pedio is a bigger player in lambic acidity than lactobacillus. It has the ability to produce a lot more acid and it works well with brett. Lacto might get you some sourness at this stage, but even pitching it in primary I have not gotten a really sour beer.

OP
J

Jsta Porter

Reaction score
Pedio is a bigger player in lambic acidity than lactobacillus. It has the ability to produce a lot more acid and it works well with brett. Lacto might get you some sourness at this stage, but even pitching it in primary I have not gotten a really sour beer.
Great, many thanks. When is the best time to add the pedio. Think it is too late in this case?

Oldsock

Reaction score
Certainly not too late, toss it in. Your beer probably will never get as sour as a commercial lambic, but you should be able to get some tartness with extended age. Don’t worry if it starts to taste a bit buttery, the Brett will clean it up over time. You could also just toss in the dregs from a few bottles of sour beer, often the "wild" strains are more agressive than the Wyeast and WHite Labs cultures.