When Should I But a New Fermenting bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scturo

Reaction score
Just wondering, I got 6 batches in this bucket, it's been 9 months. When should I get a new one?

If it works, I see no reason to replace. If it's scratch free and you're not having any infections, keep using it. I have two buckets and both are 2.5 years old. No interest in replacing them.

You should have bought a new fermenter when you got the first one. That lets you have 2 batches in fermenters at once so you don't feel the need to bottle too early or be frustrated because you have time to brew one and have your fermenter full. I make smaller batches and sometimes I may have 5 fermenters full at one time.

Depends how tight you are. I know of brewers on HBT's UK sister forum THBF that have had their bucket for 10 years

You should have bought a new fermenter when you got the first one. That lets you have 2 batches in fermenters at once so you don't feel the need to bottle too early or be frustrated because you have time to brew one and have your fermenter full. I make smaller batches and sometimes I may have 5 fermenters full at one time.

I wish I had more room to brew multiple batches. I'm limited by my fermentation chamber, and over all house space. Maybe eventually I'll get/make a keezer so I can brew more. For now, it's 1, 5 gal batch and 1, 3 gallon batch every other month.

Thanks everyone, sounds like I can keep using my bucket as long as I don't scratch the wall, and keep it clean. Sounds good.

I wish I had more room to brew multiple batches. I'm limited by my fermentation chamber, and over all house space. Maybe eventually I'll get/make a keezer so I can brew more. For now, it's 1, 5 gal batch and 1, 3 gallon batch every other month.

You really only need the fermenter kept cool for the first few days, usually 4 or 5. After that you can put a new batch in. Having extra buckets in the way while they are fermenting could be a problem with space limitations but once they are empty you can (carefully so they don't scratch) them.

I've read that the first 4-5 days is the critical part of fermentation. As I get more experience I may go that route. Right now the recipes I've been following call for 21 days at controlled temp, and I feel nervous about not following them.

I have 2 but my original is over 10 years old and tons of scratches, even rust stains on bottom from when I left caps sanitizing in the bottom, never had an infection in 12 years of brewing, used to use bleach based but now use starsan. I also have 2 glass carboys as backups as most are primary only fermentation and the carboys don't get used that often, mostly for wine.

A lot is mentioned when comparing glass to plastic about plastic scratching. I can't think of a good reason for a bucket to incur scratches, at least ones deep enough that, after a good cleaning and sanitizing, would still harbor bacteria. An occasional stirring with a metal spoon, if not gentle, should not even have to make contact with the plastic itself. No scratching there. Cleaning a bucket is best done with a plastic bristle brush. No scratching there. Beyond that, I can't think of anything else that might scratch the plastic. I have used the same plastic bucket for at least 15 batches and there's not a scratch to be found. If you're *scratching* the inside of your plastic fermenter during a normal brewing operation... :confused: ...just sayin'.

I buy a new fermenting bucket when all my buckets are full and I want to brew another beer.

Thats what I do too. Just recently got two big mouth bubblers, one has 5 gal of California common in it and the other is empty. I have a grand total of 5 fermenters. Woohoo!

A lot is mentioned when comparing glass to plastic about plastic scratching. I can't think of a good reason for a bucket to incur scratches, at least ones deep enough that, after a good cleaning and sanitizing, would still harbor bacteria. An occasional stirring with a metal spoon, if not gentle, should not even have to make contact with the plastic itself. No scratching there. Cleaning a bucket is best done with a plastic bristle brush. No scratching there. Beyond that, I can't think of anything else that might scratch the plastic. I have used the same plastic bucket for at least 15 batches and there's not a scratch to be found. If you're *scratching* the inside of your plastic fermenter during a normal brewing operation... :confused: ...just sayin'.

I stack all my buckets (of different sizes) inside one another when storing them. I imagine this might scratch them. Doesnt seem to do any harm though

If you're careful there should be minimal chances of scratching. I was once using my bucket to soak all my brewing equipment in starsan, I took everything out but I missed the scissors. I put the lid on and gave it a good shake to sanitize the inside and needless to say it left some pretty deep scratches. Lesson learned. I still use that bucket though and I've never had an infection.

I only use a soft cloth for cleaning inside tbe bucket and never sanitise other stuff like spigots in the fermenter. Should be no reason for it to get scratched if one is careful.

I second this. I bought a big kit for my intro and I bought an extra fermenting bucket at the same time. I knew I'd want this type of flexibility. They're like 15-20 dollars total - might as well, you know?

Happy brewing!

Back