When seasoning Aluminum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
When you guys season your new aluminum pots, do you then after the boil wipe out the buildup. Or leave it alone? Awhile back I had one and noticed after boiling I was able to take a dry paper towel and turn it rather dark by rubbing the inside walls.

Thanks

When you guys season your new aluminum pots, do you then after the boil wipe out the buildup. Or leave it alone? Awhile back I had one and noticed after boiling I was able to take a dry paper towel and turn it rather dark by rubbing the inside walls.

The black stuff is aluminum oxide. And yes, I clean my aluminum pots after each brew session with soap and a "pink" scrubber for non-stick pots.

liquid soap ,hot water and a sponge is all that touches any of my aluminum cookware. You want it clean without disturbing the oxide coating

Ok so I get a new pot, boil water in it, turns it black, then I dump the water out. THEN you guys just brew right after, or do you clean the inside out before your first brew session? Kind of confused on the answers, I know you should clean them after each use, but I am talking about the initial seasoning.

I clean it after the initial boil. There will be some oxide that doesn't adhere to the metal that is why you had some discoloration on the paper towel. Just some soap and a sponge is all that is needed.

liquid soap ,hot water and a sponge is all that touches any of my aluminum cookware. You want it clean without disturbing the oxide coating

What about StarSan? I am looking at getting a large aluminum kettle because it is much cheaper, but I have always used StarSan on my stainless stuff. Is it OK to use on aluminum too?

Why NOT sanitize my kettle?
I'm thinkin' that 60 minutes of boil should take care of that. All I use is a soapy rag and hot water. After that I wipe it dry with paper towels.

It is a large vessel that holds all of my brew equipment while sanitizing.
A wall paper tray works great for this.

Edit:
Anything sanitized pre-boil is just a waste of StarSan not to mention the unnecessary environmental issues.

That doesn't answer the question.

Why NOT sanitize my kettle? It is a large vessel that holds all of my brew equipment while sanitizing.

way to play nice ...it's a relevant simple question.

Starsan is a mild acid and will react w/ alum given enough exposure time.

way to play nice ...it's a relevant simple question.

Starsan is a mild acid and will react w/ alum given enough exposure time.

First off thanks everyone for clearing it up, I will be boiling water then wiping out the black residue layer that forms "before" boiling the wort.

Secondly I am glad you mentioned that, I remember hearing about the starstan reaction a long time ago with aluminum and had forgotten!

I only use Stainless Steel. I try to avoid poisoning my beer and my body with the aluminum contaminants

In the print edition of How to Brew, Palmer (who happens to be a metallurgical engineer) discusses that chemical analysis of worts boiled in seasoned stainless and aluminum pots showed no difference in detectable aluminum content, pre or post fermentation.

Per the Alzheimer's assn:
ALZ Alum PDF

During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a possible suspect
in causing Alzheimer’s disease. This suspicion led to concerns about
everyday exposure to aluminum through sources such as cooking pots,
foil, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have
failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Almost all
scientists today focus on other areas of research, and few experts believe
that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat.

Back