When pitching safale S-04..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storm76

Reaction score
I have a question to this Quote..

Alternatively, pitch dry yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20C. Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes and then mix the wort e.g. using aeration

My question is now should i put the lid lose on top of the plastic fermenter or do i just leave the lid of during these 30 minutes, and then mix the wort?

There is debate over this step. This step is supposed to allow time to rehydrate the yeast prior to oxygenating the wort, but it's not necessary to wait. The yeast will find it's way.

But should the lid be off the fermenter during these 30 min of re-hydrating, before i mix the yeast in to the worth and sealing and putting the airlock on?

If I were to do it this way, I would not leave the lid off. You need to protect the wort from infectons any time after the boil. It is highly sensitive to infections at this point.

your yeast will be fine.Dump it in,Stir the hell out of it,Have a beer and wait 4-6 weeks:mug:

What you do is shake the crap out of the wort to oxygenate it, dump in the package of yeast over the surface of the wort/bubbles, put the lid back on, shake the crap out of it again, and finally put it in your fermentation spot. I have done it this way on every batch, and its never failed. Ever.

personally i aerate and rehydrate simultaneously. I will have a small cup of lukewarm water <80 degrees and dump the packet in there. After about 20 minutes i will aerate the bucket or carboy and THEN dump the yeast in. All ways people are listing will work and ive done all of them. It comes down to ease and whatever your more comfortable with. Either way i would keep the lid on - it DOESN'T need to be sealed but i would keep it on or covered. To give you an idea, people fermenting wine somtimes just lay cheesecloth across the bucket to keep fruit flies and contaminants out....

Should i give it a good stir after i has re-hydrate or just i good stir?

Many Q here now:)

a lot of people rehydrate.A lot of people don't.Personaly with dry yeasts I just pour it in dry and stir the **** out of it.

I sprinkled the safale-04 onto the chilled wort after giving the wort a heck of a stir (about 2 minutes' worth of vigorous stirring), covered the fermenter loosely, waited a few minutes, and then stirred vigorously again. Finally, I sealed 'er up and set it in place to do its job.

Back