When Life Gives You Lemons...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I didn't search for answers, because I want something other than necroposts. I took the remainder of the lemons off our tree today; zested them all and then juiced them. So, what do I have for my hours of hand and arm pain?

6# of lemon zest and 2 1/2 gallons of lemon juice. I am not counting the 5 gallons of lemon waste currently on my mulch pile.

So, dear friends and acquaintances, what do I do with my bounty?

Any recipe is valid, fermentation not required. I have a kegging system if your recipe requires force carbing vs. natural (alcoholic) carbonation. If sending me to another thread is the right move, go for it. I want knowledge!

Peace,

Reevesie
IMG_0233.JPG
IMG_0234.JPG
IMG_0236.JPG
IMG_0237.JPG

When I lived in Phoenix this was an annual affair.

Fill a mason jar with zest. Packed, but not solid. Fill with decent vodka. Be sure all zest is covered. Let sit in a cool dark place.

After some time, strain extract into fresh jar. Mix with simple syrup. Ratio of extract:syrup and water:sugar is up to you to taste.

Serve straight from the freezer.

Fill a mason jar with zest. Packed, but not solid. Fill with decent vodka. Be sure all zest is covered. Let sit in a cool dark place.

After some time, strain extract into fresh jar. Mix with simple syrup. Ratio of extract:syrup and water:sugar is up to you to taste.

I am assuming this a liquor/limoncello recipe?

Well, this sounds like a Christmas gift!

I didn't search for answers, because I want something other than necroposts. I took the remainder of the lemons off our tree today; zested them all and then juiced them. So, what do I have for my hours of hand and arm pain?

6# of lemon zest and 2 1/2 gallons of lemon juice. I am not counting the 5 gallons of lemon waste currently on my mulch pile.

So, dear friends and acquaintances, what do I do with my bounty?

Any recipe is valid, fermentation not required. I have a kegging system if your recipe requires force carbing vs. natural (alcoholic) carbonation. If sending me to another thread is the right move, go for it. I want knowledge!

Peace,

ReevesieView attachment 733582View attachment 733583View attachment 733584View attachment 733585

Dude... don't do that. I've zested a billion lemons (had a lemon tree at one time).

Tape a zester or cheese grater to a bowl, stick a large wood bit into the lemon, and use a drill to zest it. Believe me, SOOOO much easier. I'll see if I can find a link.

Dude... don't do that. I've zested a billion lemons (had a lemon tree at one time).

Tape a zester or cheese grater to a bowl, stick a large wood bit into the lemon, and use a drill to zest it. Believe me, SOOOO much easier. I'll see if I can find a link.

Unfortunately our lemons are not firm enough to hold a dowel. But the zesting part was easy compared to hand reaming and squeezing them for juice. I am seriously considering a fruit press for next year. I mean, it'll help with the grapes this fall, too, but, this is a lot of fruit. I don't want to do this again.

Lemon ginger syrup. Buy a good heap of fresh ginger. Puree, boil and strain out the fibre, add lemon juice/ citric acid, zest and sugar /honey and boil a while then bottle sterile. Lots of recipes out there, just make it strong - I like it sweet, spicey and puckery hence citric acid. Simple as. Super tasty (great with soda water or hot water) and an easy alluring alternative when the other easy alluring alternative is beer on tap... very good for the longevity of both my kegs and liver!

Thank you for all of your input! So far this is what we have-the beginnings of a lemon aperitif. 3# zest + 1 liter of gin. The zest was frozen, so I am assuming better oil transfer to the alcohol.
6C66BFF6-6D3A-485C-AE70-CE28D573F8E0.jpeg

Preserving lemon zest, separately, in salt and sugar, and making a large batch of simple syrup. Froze 1 1/2 gallons of juice. Still have 1 gallon fresh for next weekend’s fourth party. Maybe a hard lemonade. Or lemon juice for shandy-style beers.
80FDCB07-CA4D-4BED-ACCA-EC77802F97AD.jpeg

lemonaid.jpg

that's my recipie for a good hard lemon aid......i of course use homemade alcohol, but i only can get lemon juice concentrate in 32oz jars, so you'd probably need a gallon or so per keg...as far as the wheat beer, i just remember wheat beer and lemon go together, there was one sold at the store.

Thank you for all of your input! So far this is what we have-the beginnings of a lemon aperitif. 3# zest + 1 liter of gin. The zest was frozen, so I am assuming better oil transfer to the alcohol.
View attachment 733746

We've done a gin version of my above recipe for limoncello. Came out very good. Bombay East, with the lemongrass.

As an aside, a bourbon arancello was also very nice. We had a whole bunch of different citrus in our yard. Rented a property that previously belonged to the president of the valley's permaculture organization.

Latest posts

Back