When is too late for secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpb3

Reaction score
I am just getting into all this--my second batch is fermenting now--but I have a question about secondary. According to the book, secondary should begin two or three days after visible signs of fermenting have stopped. I of course, decided this weekend--six days after putting second batch into fermenter, that perhaps I would use a secondary this time around. Is it ever too late to do this? Have I passed the time to secondary? If not I will bottle later this week. And just FYI, I brewed this batch a week ago today.

You're fine - go ahead and put it in the secondary. Most people follow the 1-2-3 rule. One week primary, 2 weeks secondary and 3 in bottles / keg. Of course, that's just a rule of thumb and there are plenty of factors that can slow it down.

I don't know there is ever really a time when it's too late for a secondary.

Not only will you be fine, do a search and you will find that there is a growing trend of primary only fermentations. Personally, I just started using a 2-2-4 (keg) cycle.

I usually do at least 10 days in the primary, just because that works with my work schedule. Sometimes longer. Then I use a clearing tank anywhere from 1 week to 4 weeks, depending on timing. Still, I use the 1-2-3 method as a general guideline.

I primarily follow the 1-2-3 method as well, but sometimes I brew so much that I can't keep up with what I need to do on certain days so I've had brew in secondary for as much as a month and brew in primary for as long as 3 weeks (wheats). It sounds like you can go ahead and rack to secondary.

Racking at the end of the fermentation to a clarifying (or bright) tank just makes it easier to make the move to the bottling bucket. Clarification will occur regardless. Many people keg from the fermenter just by waiting 3-4 weeks.

All good news--thanks for the replies. I am a worrier by nature, and it is good to know that this whole homebrew thing is more laid back than I imagined. And, yes, i know . . . . . RDWHAHB. Cheers.

Back