When is the kruasun supposed to form?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fettersp

Reaction score
My cider has been fermenting for 2 days now. The foam formed on day one but went away after a day 2 when I got yelled at to move it out of an unused room. Currently the cider is bubbling pretty fast and there are bubbles around the side but I'm pretty sure that's the co2. The temp of the original room wat 64 degrees. The new place is at 67_68 degree.

Last edited:
Different yeasts produce different amounts of krausen that will last for different amounts of time.

If your airlock is still showing plenty of activity I'd guess you are just fine [emoji106]

What yeast are you using?

Cheers [emoji111]

It's also my first batch:,) just want it to be a success.
I was told to try s-04 on here.
I got an og. Of 1.040 and added enough honey to get 1.055.
5 teaspoons of yeast nutrients for 5 gallons.

For what it is worth, my experience with SO4 is that it has a turbulent start to fermentation and develops a thick (1") foam within a couple of days then settles quite quickly (within a week). Monitoring SG progress with a hydrometer will tell you what is happening.

Currently the bubbler is still active. It's on its 4th day of fermentation. Is the stuff on the top krausan or is it yeast? I know the whitish goo looking stuff on the buttom is yeast. Also I dont plan on transferring it too a second carboy so how long is the typical time it should be left??

Attachments

• 20200114_183812.jpg
    20200114_183812.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
Technically, I think you need to have enough protein in solution to enable the yeast to make "krausen". Absent protein, the yeast might create foam and they might not. Fruit juices tend not to have the mechanical structure in their molecules to "trap" gases like grains do (think gluten and dough). The CO2 bubbles up and moves through the liquid and the bubbles tend to burst on the surface because there is no net of molecules to capture the gas.

Latest posts

Back