When is the best time to add candi sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
Ok I have searched my ass off on this one and and hoping someone with more experience can sort this out for me. I am planning a slightly crazy experimental brew. It will be under 1.060 including the sugar (1lb)...so I am also worried about the yeast going after the sugar and getting too lazy to eat up the grain extract.

When is the best time to add belgain candi sugar, and what do you get out of different timed additions (late boil vs. after fermentation)?

Do you get any aromatics that you would want to avoid scrubbing away by adding it after fermentation?

Thanks all!

The advantage of adding after fermentation is the yeast will start off in a lower gravity environment which should help them get off to a good start.

The advantage of adding late in the boil is the simplicity of santizing all at once, and your OG reading will be unchanged.

The advantage of adding after fermentation is the yeast will start off in a lower gravity environment which should help them get off to a good start.

The advantage of adding late in the boil is the simplicity of santizing all at once, and your OG reading will be unchanged.

Ah That is the main point I forgot in my main post. I will Amend it!

16% or less by extract, put it in the end of the boil. Over 16% add it incrementally during fermentation, regardless of SG.

Back