When is it too soon for seasonal beers to be released?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1laskey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I enjoyed my first Shipyard Pumpkinhead of the year last night and could not be happier, but it is only mid August. When is it too soon to release seasonal beers? I am not complaining, just wondering what other peoples thoughts are?

I enjoyed my first Shipyard Pumpkinhead of the year last night and could not be happier, but it is only mid August. When is it too soon to release seasonal beers? I am not complaining, just wondering what other peoples thoughts are?

I just got back from the store and noticed that pumpkin beers were out in force. Seemed a little early to me.80-90 degrees and pumkin don't do it for me.

I'm also seeing some fall seasonals in these parts. To me, it seems like a September 1st release would be sufficient. Still a little too warm out to be craving pumpkin or nut browns, etc.

Most breweries around here release seasonals all year round, but August seems a bit early for pumpkin. I'd worry about the spices fading by the time the weather turns. Maybe they plan on making more if the recipe moves well.

For many years Shipyard would only release Pumpkinhead in mid Sept and run till late Oct/Early Nov...I have noticed more and more people enjoying this great brew over the years , so I can understand an earlier roll out. I just hope that quality will not be sacrificed. Some other great beers (Sam Adams Winter Lager circa 1996-1997) suffered from this, well pretty much all SA products did...but that is for another discussion.

I picked up some Spaten Oktoberfest today. I was suprised to see it there when I walked in. No Sam Adams Oktoberfest here yet though.

Picked up Sams octoberfest last week and still have some left. I can't wait for some pumpkin beers to compare mine too around thanksgiving.

I got New Belgium Hoptober on draft last night and enjoyed it thoroughly. I agree though, for spiced beers, it's a bit too early. I would like to get mine brewed this week to be ready for Halloween drankin', though.

I just picked up Warsteiner's Oktoberfest yesterday. I thought Spaten was one of the year-round Oktoberfests? If not, then I know a package store with some WAY less than fresh Spaten.

Just another sign breweries are getting into the ealry commercialization - If we are seeing Holloween and seasonal beers now - next week I would bet Santa and Christmas trees popping up at your local Wal-Mart. Anything to get the dollars especially with a poor economy..... urgh

Latest posts

Back