When is a beer too dry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eppo

Reaction score
I brewed a pale ale, og 1.052 got an fg of 1.008 after 2 weeks in the fermenter, seems a bit dry, hoping some aging and carb will pick it up a bit. I was supposed to mash at 154, mashed at 152 instead, so I guess ghats why I didn't get a 1.012.
Also did a saison, it finished at 1.004 from 1.060. When it was supposed to finish at 1.008. Might have been that I used the white labs saison 2 yeast might try the wyeast 3711 next time. Is a difference of.004 a huge difference in dryness?

not from my experience... 4 points won't matter much if you've got a respectable grain bill.. if you have a light bill, maybe - but i wouldn't sweat 4 points. and a saison at .004 isn't too low at all...

I would prefer them dry. I like Pale Ales to finish in single digits. My Barley wine ended up at 1.010, and is great.

Belgians really should be dry. 1.004 is very respectable. If you had used 3711, it probably would have gone down to 1.002 or lower.

For me, hardly ever, and I like all of my hoppy beers to finish dry, nothing north of 1.012 if I can help it. American amber ales I'll keep somewhat malty, 1.016 tops.

So I wouldnt find your beer dry at all, and if anything carbonation will make it seem even crisper and dryer in my experience anyway. I'd say roll with it.

The only reason i asked is because my beers never got down this low, I just started using O2. When tasting the Gravity samples, they had a very "Winey" taste.
Granted, I know the Saison needs to age, i didnt think i would get that type of taste with the Pale ale.
I figure, the pale ale will be ready to drink out of the keg in about 3 weeks, And the Saison has At least 4 weeks till it will be fully carbed. I'll give one a taste then, and then see how they are in the Middle of June for my Birthday.

My American Wheat finished at 1.007 from 1.054! After carbonation though it tastes great and the high alcohol sneaks up on you!

Back