When in Birmingham Alabama!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewjangle

Reaction score
First time in Birmingham for work and looked around for a brewery. Found Avondale Brewing. Anyone familiar? Seemed like a pretty decent place with some good brews. Tried a flight that had their (from left to right):
Mill City White
Spring Street Saison
Miss Fancys Trippel
TrainHopper Pale Ale
Vinillaphant Porter
Battlefield IPA

The first 4 on the flight were a little light tasting for my pallet, but the porter and IPA were both pretty decent brews. Might be worth a stop in if you visit the area.

As an aside, tried to visit Good People Brewing (also in Birmingham) but they had next to no parking and what little they had was taken. Not to mention it was close to UAB so the area was a little shady.

Cheers! View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1486683588.367105.jpg

Just read a post that touted Avondale as a pretty good brewery. If I can get out that way I will certainly pull a few pints there.

I live in Birmingham, and our craft brewery scene is awesome, with more to come. Avondale, Cahaba, Good People, Trim Tab, Ghost Train, just to name a few. Love those places. Also, if you're into Sour Beer, Avondale had their "Sour Room" that has some excellent beers. Birmingham is becoming a hidden gem in the craft beer world!

Just read a post that touted Avondale as a pretty good brewery. If I can get out that way I will certainly pull a few pints there.

Didn't get a chance to try all their offerings, so I can't say they don't have much worth trying, but I wasn't very pleased with their take on certain styles.
The Mill City White was way to clear, not hazy at all, had no real Belgian taste and, frankly, was kind of thin tasting.
The Saison was very similar. Not much of a "farmhouse" vibe with a thin watery mouth feel.
All in all I can say mouth feel was a bit underwhelming on the 6 that I tried with the Vanillaphant Porter and Battlefield IPA being decent brews.
If you stop in and try the flight I hope you can come back and provide a better review.

I live in Birmingham, and our craft brewery scene is awesome, with more to come. Avondale, Cahaba, Good People, Trim Tab, Ghost Train, just to name a few. Love those places. Also, if you're into Sour Beer, Avondale had their "Sour Room" that has some excellent beers. Birmingham is becoming a hidden gem in the craft beer world!

Didn't get a chance to try the Sours. Is Avondale known for those?
I hope to get a chance to go back to Birmingham. I would love to be able to try a couple of the other breweries!
One of the GREAT restaurants you guys have (not beer related at all) but SAWS Soul Food!!! Dear God! I could eat there 7 days a week. I had the Pork and Greens plate and literally couldn't stop eating!

Didn't get a chance to try the Sours. Is Avondale known for those?
I hope to get a chance to go back to Birmingham. I would love to be able to try a couple of the other breweries!
One of the GREAT restaurants you guys have (not beer related at all) but SAWS Soul Food!!! Dear God! I could eat there 7 days a week. I had the Pork and Greens plate and literally couldn't stop eating!

They just opened the Sour room, so, no they are not known for them, but they are the first in Birmingham to dive off into sours. I am actually a fan of Cahaba and Good People more, but Avondale is good too. Although, I don't really care for their Saison, or White. But Battlefield IPA is one of my favs in town. I wish they would do a DIPA. Last weekend I had their limited release Black IPA and it was really good. The wife and I split a flight and a couple full pours in the Sour Room and they were all very good.

Saw's has EXCELLENT food. I love the Grits and Greens. And their Fried Sweet Tea Chicken Sandwich is very good as well. Post Office Pies, next door to Saw's is some of the best pizza in town. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Where are you from?

By the way. Avondale is a much more shady neighborhood than where Good People is. Avondale used to be a dump, but the brewery and new restaurants have really helped.

Not a big Avondale fan. Great place to hang out ok beer. Good People, Trim tab, And Cahaba Brewing can all hold their own with anyone.

They just opened the Sour room, so, no they are not known for them, but they are the first in Birmingham to dive off into sours. I am actually a fan of Cahaba and Good People more, but Avondale is good too. Although, I don't really care for their Saison, or White. But Battlefield IPA is one of my favs in town. I wish they would do a DIPA. Last weekend I had their limited release Black IPA and it was really good. The wife and I split a flight and a couple full pours in the Sour Room and they were all very good.

Saw's has EXCELLENT food. I love the Grits and Greens. And their Fried Sweet Tea Chicken Sandwich is very good as well. Post Office Pies, next door to Saw's is some of the best pizza in town. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Where are you from?

I'm hoping that I'll get a chance to swing through in the next couple of months. I read great things about Good People brewing and really wanted to try a few. They are a must next time I'm in town. Avondales battlefield IPA was pretty good. Definitely saved the experience for me.
The guys at Avondale recommended post office pies but I there were several that recommended Saws! Feel like I chose wisely on that one!

I'm from Clemson SC.

Back