When do I start to Worry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapaddict

Reaction score
I bottled a batch of ale three weeks ago and I am getting essentially zero carbonation. I am hearing a butterfly fart when I pop a cap but nothing that I would call real carbonation. Yes, I did add the sugar and did stir it in well. The other batches I have made were well carbonated after two to three weeks using the same techniques. If I wait another two to three weeks and I still have no oomph, can I open all the bottles and keg it?

You should be able to keg and force carb at this point with no problem. What temp are you keeping the bottles at? wouldn't think it would be a problem this time of year, but maybe your wife is like mine and keeps the thermostat set to cold for you to carb properly.

david_42 said:
Alternately, buy some carb drops, open each bottle, add drops and re-cap.
carb drops are just sugar, no?
sounds like there's a problem with yeast quantity or quality (due to temp, possibly) as opposed to sugar.....

does the beer taste sweet?

It does tase a bit sweeter than what I would expect but I assumed that was due to the fact that the priming sugar had not been consumed yet. I'm going to bring it all upstairs for a couple weeks and see how that goes. Is there a limit to how warm is too warm to carbonate at? The brew was maintained at 66-72 degrees or so prior to bottling. Can I put the bottles in an 80 plus environment for a week or so without harm?

Back