When do I start dumping out of my conical fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wreals

Reaction score
I've used the search function but i still can't find my answer.

Ok, so my lovely wife got me a 14.5 gallon Blichmann conical for Xmas, it was a total surprise to me but I'm very happy.

I've got about a 12 brews under my belt but they've all been in a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. I know that you can dump sediment out of the bottom dump but I don't know exactly the proces. For example, when do I start dumping, how frequent, is there a technique, etc.

I've read the HowTo document that came with the unit but it doesn't give me any detail on the process, just the mechanics on how to use the ball valve and how not to damage them.

Thougths? Tips?

Dump when the beer is at or near its terminal gravity. I usually dump once, then tap the sides of the cone to help force more yeast/trub to the bottom. Then I wait a day and dump it again.

I thought the 'sediment dump/yeast capture' would come after the rack to a secondary or kegging... then maybe a wash or two...

no personal experience.

No. You don't typically need to rack when using a conical. It also helps to have the pressure of several gallons of beer pushing the yeast out of the dump valve.

I used to dump after three days enough for a gravity reading. Then depending on that i could save some yeast the next day if i wanted or dump alittle more. Theirs alot of opinions on how often to dump but its really up to you. Im shure after a few brews youll figure out the method that works best for you. see what the smarter people say, they proly have better advice.

Dump when the beer is at or near its terminal gravity. I usually dump once, then tap the sides of the cone to help force more yeast/trub to the bottom. Then I wait a day and dump it again.

So do you wait until the fermentation lock stops showing signs of fermentation or while it's still going?

I don't even look at the airlock. I wait at least a week, if not two. Then I measure the specific gravity. If it's near the expected terminal gravity (within a point or two), I dump.

I'm in the same boat as wreals--just got my 14.5 conical and my first batch in it is now 5 days in--and was just trying to determine the same thing.

On a related item, NOTE WHAT NOT TO DO: I had the racking arm pointing downward when I transferred to the fermenter, so now when I am taking my readings, I'm getting a heck of a lot of trub/yeast in my samples. The gravity continues to fall, so I guess it's not a huge deal. Nonetheless, will be sure I remedy that next batch!

Cheers & happy new year.
Chad

Back