When can I add a flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

santonivich

Reaction score
Hi,

This is the 2nd time I have brewed. The first batch was a super simple malt based stout. It came out just fine but it was very simple and I didn't deviate from the instructions.

This batch I decided to go with a basic American ale....but I wanted to make it somewhat 'Christmas like', so I thought I would add a little peppermint to the recipe.

I wasn't thinking much about when to add the peppermint extract. I added half of the little bottle at the end of the boiling.

The batch has been fermenting in the carboy for about a week. It just recently stopped bubbling at the airlock. Only a 'slight' peppermint scent is detected.

It dawned on me that it might have been interesting to add Peppermint schnapps to the recipe to get that flavor.

If I wanted to add more peppermint extract or the schnapps when would be a good time to do so now? Can I add it to the carboy while fermenting? Would the sugars in the schnapps or extract do anything negative to the yeast? If I added it before bottling would I risk too much sugar as well?

Thanks

The sugars may be converted to alcohol, but I'm unsure of how much fermentable sugar is schnapps. Maybe add a little to your bottling bucket as you rack to bottle.

Buy a SNPA and pour a little schnapps in and see if you like it before committing your batch. If you do, you will be able to scale the ratio needed from that.

When using extracts for flavoring, I always add them to the keg/bottling bucket. Most are very volatile and would be lost during the boil.

AnOldUR's suggestion to bench trial additions is very wise....

Back