When and how to add honey to a Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigken462

Reaction score
So far my favorite brew has been a Reissdorf Kolsch clone. I've done this beer several times with great success and it's always gone before I know it.

I will be brewing another batch of this next week, but think this time i'll do 10-11 gallons and play with it a bit. I've read many threads about Honey Kolschs beers and thought I would try my hand at it.

From reading, it seems most people put honey in at flameout. But since I want to reserve 1/2 half the batch for the regular recipe, would it be ok to just add this to the second fermentor straight from the honey jar, or could I just add it to the secondary to get more of the honey flavor? I've never used honey at all in my previous beers, so I don't know what to expect from it.

Thanks in advance. Below is the recipe I use scaled up to 11 gallons.

1 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 4.9 %
12 lbs Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 58.5 %
6 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 3 29.3 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 4 7.3 %

0.83 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 5 20.8 IBUs
1.04 oz Hallertau [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 3.1 IBUs
0.52 oz Hallertau [4.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 0.8 IBUs
0.52 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 0.7 IBUs

Does there seem to be a crowd favorite of what brand and how much to use for a 5.5 gallon batch?

I have no experience to fall back on with this one.

I usually buy these 12oz organic honet container from the store, but it doesnt really matter IME. Anything from super premium locally sourced to the generic honey bear will work. Wont make too much difference.

I've done from that 12oz container up to 24oz with good results. Good luck

Latest posts

Back