When and how to add essence to beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vivee45

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a newbie do please bare with me. I am wanting to make mango beer and have found a recipe that uses essence.

It says to add it to a secondary fermenter but I don't have a clue what that is.

Can someone kindly tell me how to add it in and the technique of it. Would I also need to buy any other fermenters??

Thanks

A secondary fermenter is simply another bucket, carboy or whatever, you rack or transfer the beer to after the initial fermentation is complete. For a fruit beer made with essence or extract, it's usually a good idea to add real fruit to the mix as well. Get some fresh, frozen or canned Mango... puree it and add it to the secondary. Add essence or extract until you reach the flavor you desire... I rarely use a secondary myself, but do utilize it when adding fruit after a short primary fermentation. Good luck...

To elaborate further... make your beer and let it ferment in the primary until finished fermenting. 7-10-14-21 days should do the trick depending on the beer. Then gently transfer the beer to another container (I like buckets with spigots) and add the fruit. After a few days take a sample and check how it tastes and smells. If not enough Mango flavor/aroma, add a little essence/extract at a time until you get it where you want it. Let it sit for however long you desire and then bottle or keg it. Have fun...

Back