When adding sugar to the fermenter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berley31

Reaction score
Just planning on doing my first AG batch soon, a Tripel that has 2.5 lbs of regular cane sugar. I was going to add it when fermentation started to slow.

My question is, what's the best way to do this? I know it needs to be boiled in water, but are we talking about just enough water to dissolve it? 2.5 lbs is a lot of sugar, and I haven't done any brews yet where sugar is part of the recipe.

I've done this with corn sugar often. For corn sugar, you can fit one pound in 1 cup of heated water. Heat it up to sanitize and dump it in the fermenter. You'll get very active fermentation so add a blow-off tube if necessary.

I have done it also as dstar said with corn sugar not cane when I made my DFH120 clone. I started adding the sugar about 3-4 days in and just used a sanitized large pitcher that I filled with the fermenting beer mixed in x-amount of sugar using a sanitized spoon then dumped it back into the fermenter. No boiling of the sugar and it came out great. Just make sure all utensils used are very clean before and after. I just made up a few gallons of sanitizer and soaked the pitcher and spoon in it after rinsing. Also I would suggest adding the sugar in 1/4 - 1/2lb additions. When I did the 120 I added 1/3 to 1/2 pound 2-3 times daily, and if after an addition the fermentation does not start back quickly then stop with the sugar or it will end up overly sweet. I tried to add 16lbs to my brew but at 14 1/2 lbs it really starter to slow so I ended it there and the beer turned out great.

I just brewed a beer that called for 1.25 lbs corn sugar, which was added at beginning of the boil. Isn't this a common method, or is adding at the end of the boil better?

Definitely dissolve the sugar in a small amount of water. If there's enough CO2 in the beer, adding dry sugar can give it nucleation points and you get a mentos-and-diet-coke type eruption. Won't always happen, or even usually, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I just brewed a beer that called for 1.25 lbs corn sugar, which was added at beginning of the boil. Isn't this a common method, or is adding at the end of the boil better?

I use to add all sugar to the boil. But now for my big high alcohol beers I add the sugar to the fermenter. You can do it either way but if you’re trying to get a triple or something 9%+ that’s a lot of sugar in the wort when the yeast is just starting out. I have only made 3 big beers since doing the DFH 120 where I added the sugar to the fermenter and I can say that all my latest beers have come out smoother that the ones in the past where I added all the sugar to the boil. So I would guess most just add it to the boil but I would try both ways and see for yourself what the difference is. No way is the wrong way just a different way:)

Something I haven't experimented with yet is pitching rates for beers that I add the sugar to the fermentation. Anyone have experience with pitching according to your measured OG vs. your prorated OG? I've always pitched according to the prorated OG and I'm wondering if I could use less yeast.

Back