Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fata2683

Reaction score
hey guys, in preparation for a wheat beer I'm doing in a week or so I stumbled across some stuff at a local German festival. It came in a 1 kg bag titled Weizen. Now I know this is wheat, but the stand that was selling it was also selling bread and I'm sure this stuff is intended to be used to bake bread. It looks like barley(I would have to mill it) but I'm not sure if I should use it(would wheat for baking be the same as wheat for brewing?) At 60 euro cents a kg it's a bargain. Sorry for not having pictures, the wife has the camera out right now. Thanks for any advice, I'll post pictures soon.

I'd mill it and use it. I buy it pre-milled and crush it again in my BC because I have read it can be really tough to mill yourself, and it needs a really fine crush. Unless you adjust your mill down to a tiny gap I'd run it through twice. Be sure to use a protein rest at 122*F and use lots of rice hulls so you don't get a stuck sparge if you are doing AG.

Good luck. :)

thanks for the reply and advice. I've heard of people using instant rice(rice hulls), is that acceptable. I plan to brew on Saturday so we will see how it goes. By the way, how is the Christmas beer going. I watched your live feed....very informative and entertaining. Cheers!:mug:

Latest posts

Back