Wheat Recipe Opinion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbhistory

Reaction score
Evening all, quick question. I am in the process of designing my first wheat beer for SWMBO. I was reading the guidelines set forth in the "designing great beers" book and he recommends a recipe that has 1\2 to 2\3 of the grist as wheat and the other portion 2 row. Thoughts on this? Seems foreign to me as I typically brew with Marris or 2 row as my base. Thanks for your opinions!

Yeah but it's a wheat so it makes sense that the bulk of the grist is in fact wheat:)

I've done some that are 50-60% wheat. Just be sure to use at least a lb of rice hulls to prevent a stuck sparge

Sent from the Commune

Looking to brew a Boulevard Wheat clone soon and that grain bill is roughly 61% pale malt, 18% unmalted wheat and 21% malted wheat so a little less than the numbers you list but still a significant portion is wheat.

Do you have a particular beer to base it off of? The recipe would be based off of what taste and mouthfeel you are shooting for?

I always use 55-60% wheat in my wheat beers. Rice hulls work, but I rarely use them anymore. Just another cost. My last wheat I had a tad stuck sparge, but I just stirred and vorlofed and cleared it right up

There is nothing particularly wrong with using MO if you want a maltier wheat beer and are not afraid to break from tradition, but I wouldn't do it personally because it would overpower the mild flavor of wheat. I use 2-row as my base in beers like this. I wouldn't hesitate to use pilsner malt. I typically use 35-50% wheat. Rice hulls are cheap insurance.

55-60% Wheat and the rest of the grist should be 2 row for a nice American Wheat. If you are trying to brew to style, Maris otter will throw an American Wheat recipe out of balance big time.

50% wheat is a german requirement, but also I'd wager that the beer wouldn't taste right without at least that much. With all the unique esters and phenols those yeasts produce, I imagine a lot is tied to the nutrients that are available in wheat vs barley.

Yep, 50-60% wheat and the rest 2-row, or pilsner especially if doing a German hefe. You brewing a German or American wheat?

Yep, 50-60% wheat and the rest 2-row, or pilsner especially if doing a German hefe. You brewing a German or American wheat?

An American, its going to be a Raspberry Wheat, brewing it today; we shall see how it turns out!

Back