Wheat Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmbeerhead

Reaction score
I want to do a traditional American pale ale, but instead of using barley (pilsner/pale extract) I would use wheat extract. How does this recipe look?

4 gallons -
5 pounds of Wheat LME (from what I understand
1 pound of Munich LME
.25 pound of caramel malt 60
.50 pound of caramel malt 20
1 oz Cascade @60
.5 oz cascade @30
1 oz cascade @1 minute

Haven't decided on the yeast. Perhaps American Hefeweizen or California ale yeast.

I'd skip the 60 minute hop addition...use the 1oz for a dry hop, or maybe a 15 minute addition. Low bitterness but huge hop flavor aroma.

0.5 oz at 30mins and 1.0 oz at 15mins should be ~25 IBU.
I'd also consider skipping the 1min addition and using it for dry hop.

Go with a neutral ale yeast...Cali is a good choice. My friend is a pro at this style and he says it should be all about the malt and the hops - very little yeast character.

How concerned are you with brewing to style? If you want to truly make a Traditional APA, then stick with Barley extract and your Crystal Malts. Your hop schedule looks good, not sure what your IBU's would be but if that gets you in the 35-40 range you should be good. Definitely go with the Cali Yeast.

If you're not concerned with it, then what you have looks fine, but stick with the Cali yeast. I tend to get hung up on style, so I wouldn't call it a Pale Ale but that's just me.

Regardless, i'm sure it will be a tasty brew and that's what really counts.:mug:

Back