Wheat malt in high gravity beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanppp

Reaction score
I've noticed that a lot of heavy beers have 10-20% wheat malt in them. Does anyone know why this is?

Oats also don't really do anything for head retention. Wheat would be better. I think people think that because they're common in oatmeal and dry stouts, often served on nitro with that nice creamy head.

If I'm adding 10% wheat malt to my IPA, will it cause the beer to be hazy? Will there be no chance to make a nice clean beer?

If you use a fining agent such as Irish moss at end of boil, this should help settle out lot of protein causing haze. However, that is only one variable in the whole process from wort to beer in glass. Other things to consider yeast flocculation, length of fermentation, fermentation temperature, use of fining agent/filter and bottling technique/handling.

I typically add 5-10% malted wheat in most of my beers without any fermentation fining agents or filter, and experience no clarity issues. It's home brew so if course it's not as going to be as clear as many commercial brews.

Back