Wheat beer steeping grains???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyB

Reaction score
Im about to do and extract batch of wheat beer.

plan is to use 6lbs wheat LME, 6lbs of pilsner LME, 3 lbs of corn sugar (goin for a higher abv)

Saaz pellet and cascade whole for hops. Any suggestions for a hop schedule?

Any suggestions on steeping grains to use if any? Benefits of steeping grains?

Im also thinking I will make this a watermelon wheat by adding the watermelon flavoring when kegging.......

I'd skip the corn sugar. I like full-bodied wheat beers. I never use corn sugar, except in my Belgians, and not at more than 20% of the fermentables.

Personally, I'd say don't add steeping grains. Simple wheats can be awesome.

But I might make a couple changes in other departments, you can take or leave the advice. Either way you're making beer:

1) If you're set on using cascade, I highly recommend you make it your bittering hops and add the Saaz 15-5 minutes before flameout (or at flameout) because saaz (in my opinion) is one of the best flavor/aroma hops for wheats.

2) Drop the corn sugar. That's 33% of your fermentables. You're going to end up with a super dry beer. Unless that's what you're going for I'd recommend substituting in 3# of wheat or pils extract. Or just drop it all together and stick with 6# Wheat and 6# Pils

Hope that helps. Good luck! :mug:

What is the ratio of wheat in your LME? Most of them aren't 100% wheat, sometimes as low as 40%. With 6lbs of additional pilsner LME, you might not have a lot of wheat in this beer, which is fine if that's what you're going for. Like Nateo I'd also probably limit the corn sugar.

What yeast are you using? Since you're talking about adding watermelon, I'm assuming this will be an American wheat?

Personally, I'd say don't add steeping grains. Simple wheats can be awesome.

But I might make a couple changes in other departments, you can take or leave the advice. Either way you're making beer:

1) If you're set on using cascade, I highly recommend you make it your bittering hops and add the Saaz 15-5 minutes before flameout (or at flameout) because saaz (in my opinion) is one of the best flavor/aroma hops for wheats.

2) Drop the corn sugar. That's 33% of your fermentables. You're going to end up with a super dry beer. Unless that's what you're going for I'd recommend substituting in 3# of wheat or pils extract. Or just drop it all together and stick with 6# Wheat and 6# Pils

Hope that helps. Good luck! :mug:

I agree! :mug:

Reno_eNVy - Great hops advice. I was planning on the exact opposite.....I have saaz and cascade on hand, hence the choices.

Shooter - not sure the percent. Its all LME from Northern brewer. Looking at safeale-05.

I did a similar batch last summer (watermelon) using safeale05 and a similar recipe (different hops and no steeping grains) and my friends went crazy over it. So im just trying to tweak it with what I have on hand.

Ill go with no steeping, drop the corn sugar, and follow RENO's hop schedule.

Reno - What do you think, 1 oz cascade for 60 and 1 oz saaz at 15min? I have alot of each kind of hops so adding more isnt a problem.....not looking to go too bitter for the BMC drinkers....

I plugged the recipe into BrewTarget. OG is going to be pretty high for an American Wheat... I think you'll definitely be good without the extra 3#.

And for Cascade with a.a. of 6% and Saaz of 3.5% it seems like your schedule will result in a good beer.

Thanks for the advice everyone...im thinking now I might up this whole to a 15g batch. That way I have extra for summer.....I scaled it up using beersmith and rounded up the hops and knocked down the LME.... I know allgrain would be cheaper but this is a useup brew..

12 lbs Wheat LME
12 lbs Pilsner Light LME
4 oz Cascade 60 min
4 oz Saaz 15 min
Safeale-05

Thoughts?

Thanks for the advice everyone...im thinking now I might up this whole to a 15g batch. That way I have extra for summer.....I scaled it up using beersmith and rounded up the hops and knocked down the LME.... I know allgrain would be cheaper but this is a useup brew..

12 lbs Wheat LME
12 lbs Pilsner Light LME
4 oz Cascade 60 min
4 oz Saaz 15 min
Safeale-05

Thoughts?

That sounds pretty dang solid to me. If you have the ability to do 15g then do it! :rockin:

TommyB said:
I got a 20G Bayou with a 5500w element so yeah 15 isnt a prob.

Can you buy fresh watermelon juice?

Not sure about that. If I did it I'd get one of the small personal melons, cut out the meat, hit it with a blender until liquid, and throw it in.

Latest posts

Back