Wheat beer conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biergarden

Reaction score
Please let me start off my saying I love wheat beer and I can only aspire to be as good as the Bavarian wheat beer greats. That being said I've had consistent problems with my starch conversion.
What have you guy experienced with conversion of wheat beers? This last go around I was 70/30 wheat to pale malt mashing over 60 minutes at 154*f
I'm only getting partial conversion with the iodine test. In other words it's not a black test, more like just iodine colors with small amounts of black bits around the edges of the solution.
Any thoughts?

What is your ratio of water to grain? Quarts/lb. You probably need to mash longer and thin out your mash.

For 17# I used 5.25 gallons of 154*f mash for over 60 minutes. I just couldn't reach the same conversion I'm used, to with just using pale malt with the usual adjuncts.

You're about 1.25qt/lb. Just in general I feel like I get better results at 1.5. Wheat has a lower degree Lintner. Less enzymes. It will take longer to convert than pale malt. I'd have to look around but I think wheat is 40L and 2 row is 100? Either way, much more enzymes for faster and more consistent conversion in 2 row.

I'd say thin it out a little and extend the mash. Either that or decrease the proportion of wheat by 10%. I usually do 50/50.

Latest posts

Back