Wheat beer and my tap water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpmess

Reaction score
I've entered my water report into Bru n Water and think I should have no problem with this batch. Just thought I'd ask if anyone see's something that I don't!

I'm actually using water from work vs water from my house. I live in San Jose, Ca and the water is really hard with high bicarb levels from what I can gather. I'm a new brewer with only a few all grain batches under my belt. This will be my first attempt at water additions and managing my mash Ph.

I'm adding CaCl2 to bump up the Ca without (according to Bru N water) hurting my chloride level.

If anyone sees an issue, please feel free give me some advice.

water1.png

Water2.png

Should work fine for a pale wheat beer. I find that lactic acid is the appropriate acid for that beer style. Although, you probably won't have any flavor effects with the relatively light addition.

Personally, I wouldn't use only CaCl2 since the Cl content is pretty high and just a little sulfate would help dry the beer's finish. I suggest you look at the Yellow Balanced profile.

I used to fool with adjusting my tap water (which a bit better than yours at work BTW) for my hefes and never was happy with it. Last hefe was built from 100% distilled and I was much happier with it. "Less is more" with german styles including hefe IMO. Also, I'd hate for you to get fired over stealing company property :D

Should work fine for a pale wheat beer. I find that lactic acid is the appropriate acid for that beer style. Although, you probably won't have any flavor effects with the relatively light addition.

Personally, I wouldn't use only CaCl2 since the Cl content is pretty high and just a little sulfate would help dry the beer's finish. I suggest you look at the Yellow Balanced profile.

I was thinking the lactic acid would bring my mash ph down to the 5.3 level it's at now according to the spreadsheet. It was closer to 6 without the acid. I'll try the yellow balanced profile and see what I come up with. Thank you for the advice and thanks for putting together Bru'n Water! I'll be grabbing a donation version very shortly!.

I was thinking the lactic acid would bring my mash ph down to the 5.3 level it's at now according to the spreadsheet. It was closer to 6 without the acid. I'll try the yellow balanced profile and see what I come up with. Thank you for the advice and thanks for putting together Bru'n Water! I'll be grabbing a donation version very shortly!

My home water is terrible, hardness as caco3 is 327ppm, TDS is 460ppm and when you boil water the amount of bicarbonate left is crazy. It doesn't make it easy to brew beer! I will definitely try building my water over the next few batches just for comparison.

I'm trying to find a good time to go into the kitchen and fill up my three 2.5 gallon water bottles. I'm sure I'll get some strange looks from the folks who don't know I've started brewing beer! Work water is "free" [emoji12]

Latest posts

Back