What's your profession?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Computer Engineer, right now im working a thermoelectric plant as an I&C technician.

I am the guy you bring your computer to after you went to that one site, you know which one I am talking about. Yes computer repair, thus my account name, okiepc. :mug:

Used to own a laptop repair business (sold out to partner in early 2000s) - when the disposable economy took over. Why not just smash it into a cube and buy a new one rather than pay someone $125 per hour to troubleshoot / repair? There was no money left on the bone... not doubting you at all...but seriously, who gets a PC repaired these days?

Not to insult, but, the term "engineer" is one of the most abused words.
Idiots with degrees (I have met, worked with and fired plenty) are not "engineers" - they are idiots - no matter their level of "education"

Education / parchment / school does NOT equate capability nor intellengence.

A degreed moron - is just a moron with a degree.

We have all seen: idiot lawyers, incompetent doctors, moronic politicians, incapable "engineers", buffoons as programmers and developers - the list goes on and on...eduation does NOT equate intellengence nor capablity.

Freshly unemployed Sales Manager from a car dealership. Not my passion nor my life goal so not really worried about it. Good money, terrible hours/co-workers/clientele, and not at all thought provoking.

I have an MBA and plan to move into project management in a tbd industry. Or beer sales....that I could transition into and be happy. If I'm going to continue to work 6 days a week I need some perks...little travel and a free buzz from time to time wouldn't hurt.

Idiots with degrees (I have met, worked with and fired plenty) are not "engineers" - they are idiots - no matter their level of "education"

A degreed moron - is still just a moron.

As the resident Lawyer/Doctor, I'm going to have to ask you to please refrain from ranting aggressively at no one in particular.

Thank you.

As the resident Lawyer/Doctor, I'm going to have to ask you to please refrain from ranting aggressively at no one in particular.

Thank you.

Haha, although there was no one in particular being ranted at I feel his pain. I have a friend who has academic proof, at least, that he is an engineer. This is a man, however, that had a color television for years in black and white not knowing that the color knob was dialed all the way down, didn't realize that a cd could be fast forwarded by holding the skip button and thus listened to an entire song to hear one line, and began changing a flat tire by prying off the wheel weights on the rim. Ok, so this is a lot of old technology, however, the trend has persisted and he's blown at least one motor, that we know of, by putting antifreeze in place of oil into his car. Somehow his academic achievements have allowed him to stay employed.

Being in the field of Engineering (high voltage EE) myself, as well as academia, I know what your talking about. You can tell which students will be Engineers and which will be project managers.

I'm a Sous Chef on the Smithsonian, National Museum of the American Indian. Lots of cool and different food we get to work with and awesome history to back it up!
Been three years, but greatly enjoyed that cafe (best we visited on the mall). The museum itself is very tastefully done and informative. My wife (Cherokee that did a minor in Native American studies) was expecting to be disappointed or outright offended could not say enough good things about the place.

We have all seen: idiot lawyers, incompetent doctors, moronic politicians, incapable "engineers", buffoons as programmers and developers - the list goes on and on...eduation does NOT equate intellengence nor capablity.

That's an awful large chip on your shoulder.

Did someone with a lot of degrees touch your naughty spot a long time ago?

pay someone $125 per hour to troubleshoot / repair? There was no money left on the bone... not doubting you at all...but seriously, who gets a PC repaired these days?

And there in lies the problem..:rolleyes:

I have to convince people this is worth 125.00 per hour.

000_0008.JPG

Quality manager here but my degree is in glass blowing and metal smithing. Needless to say, being new to brewing, I can't wait to drink my first batches I make out of glasses I have made ;)

Show off your wares, I have always been fascinated by the art of glass blowing.

Show off your wares, I have always been fascinated by the art of glass blowing.

423374_378132282211055_666487285_n.jpg

These are some vases I made a few years ago, they were one of my signature pieces. I really liked glass from the fact that it takes repetition to learn. In metal even a novice can make a nice piece, they just have to work a lot longer, where as with glass you either can make something or you can't, there is no in-between... plus having italian heritage it was cool to learn traditional techniques.

I made a nice cup that is goblet like, just so happened to hold a 500ml bottle of my favorite commercial beers (Greens Gluten free double dark and triple blonde) perfectly... I couldn't reproduce that perfection if I tried haha.

But in the end glass couldn't pay the bills, somehow I managed to fall into a great job that grew from employee #1 as a sales associate for a single store to QM for a company that has grown to almost 70 stores in 2.5 years and had a large production facility. I do need to get back into the studio and make something though.

In every profession there are people with varying degrees of abilities. In fact, you don't need even need to have a degree at all to be an idiot!

I do think the label 'engineer' is applied to too many job titles though. If you don't have the math and hard science background only learned in a higher education engineering program, then you're at best a technician. Don't care how good you are at your job, you're not an engineer.

Somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed today.

Semi-relevant story:

I occasionally have to deal with a guy who is the city (civil) engineer for one of the local communities. He either has a ton of knowledge in a very limited field of study, or is a complete dope.

He regularly attends meetings for the local SPE chapter. Each time, he makes a point of asking the speaker a question...whether it makes sense or not. At one of these meetings, they toured the abandoned subway tunnels under Cincinnati. He stopped the guide and asked him, "so, were these tunnels part of the Underground Railroad?"

The guide responded, "no...but my 5th grade tour groups would have known the answer to that question."

:smack:

Somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed today.
Somebody MAY have been awarded a participation prize...does not a problem solver make - did not intend to anger "you people" :;):
Just relating the facts and my experience over several decades in electronics / broadcasting / networking fields.
If someone has a "participation award" and is OK with that and their employer is OK with that...no need to get defensive - bumble and blabble on...

Some of us expect and require more...
Next...

Haha, although there was no one in particular being ranted at I feel his pain. I have a friend who has academic proof, at least, that he is an engineer. This is a man, however, that had a color television for years in black and white not knowing that the color knob was dialed all the way down, didn't realize that a cd could be fast forwarded by holding the skip button and thus listened to an entire song to hear one line, and began changing a flat tire by prying off the wheel weights on the rim. Ok, so this is a lot of old technology, however, the trend has persisted and he's blown at least one motor, that we know of, by putting antifreeze in place of oil into his car. Somehow his academic achievements have allowed him to stay employed.

Let me guess: Civil? :p

<-- Mechanical Engineer

Physicist/Engineer/Astrophysicist. The first is my job title, the second is what I spend some amount of my time doing, the third is the output of what I do.

I build the receivers and a bunch of other stuff for this thing:
hires-1-630x632.jpg

I am a nursing instructor. I brew and teach just down the "hill" from your receivers. Great image!

Back