What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
Field Engineer here. No degree worked my way up after 6yrs AD AF as a weapons guy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Home Brew mobile app

Offshore employ. I work on ROV's (Underwater Robots). Very technical field, and yes you have to be skilled in many areas. Electronics, Hydraulics, Fiber Optics, and Brewing.:mug:

Truck driver is how I pay my bills. I also do hobby work in a sheet metal shop and am quite mechanically inclined. I would love to sell a commissioned piece and claim "Armourer" as an income source; I feel that day is far away.

I do have a (married) couple of friends who brew beer and wine and both are engineers.

Hi all, new here so I thought I would post here first as kind of an intro.

I am an Applications Engineer working on diesel EGR coolers.

Chemical Engineer, University of Western Ontario 2008

But I don't work as a chemical engineer. I'm lucky enough to work in a growing brewery in Illinois

Why? These numbers are truely unbelievable. I have thought about this. It is definately art+science, beyond that I don't really see the connection. If the poll was more detailed, say separating, electric system brewers vrs. Those brewing with more traditional methods, you may have a very different poll.

Not a engineer just a low level maintenance technician I don't like the pressure if what I design goes into a car and gets someone injured

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

Cleanroom assembly tech. I build hose assemblies for pharmaceutical companies.

Sent from my PG86100 using Home Brew mobile app

An engineer at heart? Professionally I do high end IT infrastructure solutions, but I also own/manage a manufacturing business, spent 6 yrs in Navy advanced electronics, and I build all my own beer related projects (mfg business affords me access to lots of tools - which I bought!).

I took electrical engineering in college. The moment I graduated I said I would never become a electrical engineer. After college I decided to work in home water treatment and then as a full blown plumber. Got my ticket and decided enough of that ****(no pun intended) and went and worked in northern Ontario as a fishing guide for 2 summers. After that experience I realized I could make a living doing something I love so I decided to fall back on my passion, bikes. I am now the senior mechanic in a local bike shop. May not make as much as the engineers but I have been able to buy a house and I love my job and my life

To each his own, man. I started as a diesel mechanic and hated it so I'm back in school for ChE. Everyone loves something different.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I'm definitely not an engineer. I'm not allowed to use the term social worker as an official title because I'm not licensed, but I'm a social worker. I have a small caseload of adults with mental illnesses whose lives I run.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

I'm definitely not an engineer. I'm not allowed to use the term social worker as an official title because I'm not licensed, but I'm a social worker. I have a small caseload of adults with mental illnesses whose lives I run.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

That sounds stressful, brewing must be your escape from all of those cases

I spent three years of my five in undergrad in EE, but ended up with a business degree. Mostly because I couldn't decide what I wanted to do for work. Now I do contract administration (I deal with our major OE customers that are under contract to buy parts from us, mostly helicopter fuel pumps and ECUs) for an aerospace company. The things we build are interesting but my job is crap. On the upside, the business degrees should help with this whole crazy "make a living making and selling beer" thing I'm trying for.

BS URI '05, MBA UConn '07

Well I teach in a building that houses both my School of Computing and the College of Engineering so I'm surrounded by Scottys at work.

I'm a cook at heart but since the economy tanked the local mom n pop restaurants have been hit hard in my area. Went into fast food management since my wife and I just had our first child for job security. Got tired of working for a year abs showing up to my shift only to find we were going out of business.
On the plus side, fast food eliminates the narcissistic executive chef with an alcohol problem. (I may have contributed before I knew what kind of problem it was)

Sent from my SM-N910T using Home Brew mobile app

I went to school for electronics engineering. 12 years later I'm a locomotive engineer. Yes, I drive the train. Does that count?

Back