What's Your Favorite Nitrogen Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about ready to hook up my nitrogen. Just got the last thing I needed. The gas bottle of 70-30. I have a big blonde on tap and soon to be adding a session IPA made with Falconers Flight. Hopped with 3 ounces, 10, 5 and 0.

I plan to make my first Nitro a English bitter with 6.75 lbs of pale malt and 0.25 lb of 120L. Hopped at 60, 30, 0 with English hops. Pitch Windsor. 1.036 OG

I was looking for suggestions. Anybody that has Nitro, what do you make frequently for this tap? I assume typically a bitter-style pub ale and stouts.

I'm also wondering if you target slightly higher FG or use S-04, ESB, or Windsor for your favorite Nitro.

Any recipe Do's and Don't's Welcome. - Thanks!

EDIT - Do you do anything different for Nito vs CO2

I've done dry stout, ordinary bitter and mild.

I've never used Windsor but I have used 1028 and Irish ale (don't remember the number) for the stout. For the bitters and milds I have used 1469 and 1318, both of which turned out well, but definitely different from each other.

There's a thread on English ales on here that has a lot of good ideas for recipes if you need inspiration.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=472464

Ok thanks.

I've brewed several English beers over the last eleven years. I guess the decision to use nitrogen doesn't weigh into the recipe formulation. Should have known that.

I've made that Bodington Clone. It's pretty good.

I( wish I had one. Roughly how much do you have to spend to run the nitro tap or taps?:mug:

$14 for the gas or $95 with deposit for the bottle. Local Weld Shop

$59 for a Kegwork's Ni Regulator

$35 for a Krome Dispense Faucet - Amazon

$110-130 is what it costs.

I got my regular for $20 from somebody who didn't want a nitro set-up

Good Article! I think I will do something like this in the future. It also made me google NEIPA! - Thanks! :mug:

If you want tips on NEIPA i highly suggest scottjanish.com. The information is presented very well and his recipies are published as well for you to try.

As for the nitro stuff, look around CL and talk to people. Someone handed me a tap, reg, and tank for free. I know I got lucky.

As far as taps go I'd suggest looking at the intertap faucets, I have them and I love them. The taps have interchangeable screw on tips one being a stout spout.

If you want tips on NEIPA i highly suggest scottjanish.com. The information is presented very well and his recipies are published as well for you to try.

As for the nitro stuff, look around CL and talk to people. Someone handed me a tap, reg, and tank for free. I know I got lucky.

As far as taps go I'd suggest looking at the intertap faucets, I have them and I love them. The taps have interchangeable screw on tips one being a stout spout.

What's CL? Craig's List

I have everything I need but the beer. I bought my faucet from Amazon for $35 and it was a Krome Dispense Brand.

Thursday night I brewed a Ruddles Best Bitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please post how the blonde taste on nitro. My Blondes were 5.6 to 5.8 ALC, 18 to 20 IBU before I switched to 10 gallon batches. My family and friends cant seem to get enough of the blondes..

Please post how the blonde taste on nitro. My Blondes were 5.6 to 5.8 ALC, 18 to 20 IBU before I switched to 10 gallon batches. My family and friends cant seem to get enough of the blondes..

My blonde that I have on tap might be good on Nitro. Its not very malty though, but the caramel taste is pretty noticeable in the head. IBU is 22. Its still a bit hot at 8.1%. I've been trying to let it age a bit more so, its less hot. Good Idea!

Back