What's your favorite local/regional dish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Though I'm not originally from here, I've been here long enough to appreciate some of the things that hail from this area.

Lancaster County, PA

Whoopie Pies
Chicken Corn Soup
Chicken Pot Pie (Not the crusted, actual-pie-looking stuff, but the stew-like stuff, with the noodles in it)
Chicken and Waffles (not the yummy southern version, here it's stewed chicken and gravy)
Lebanon Bologna
Apple Butter
Potato Rolls

My coonass half says gumbo.

Yum, Im originally from S Mississippi and luv coonass food. My favorite area is Barataria...deep in coonass country. Gumbo y Zydeco! Atchfalaya basin has some great options too.

5 pages and no two choices are the same.....We no longer have to wonder how all the different restaurants make it.

Alaska Halibut, Steamed Clams and a good Porter

Carry on

Better yet- conch salad.

One time on the bight side of Eleuthera, I stopped at a road side stand and ordered some, and the lady hiked up her skirt and went into the sea. She reached into her little "conch keeper" and came out of the ocean and made it up for me. Parts of the conch were still wiggling, and it grossed out my kids and husband. It was good, and well worth the $6. That was the freshest conch I ever had, I must say. :D

Um... Okay, I have added a new experience to my bucket list now, and a destination.

Wiggly stuff does not bother me.

Topado. A Garifuna (of African decent) dish found in the W Carib. It is like seafood bisque with the stock made from plantains. Very rich and chock with a variety of seafood. My home base is about 10 miles from Livingston, Guatemala, a mostly Garifuna community...several places with really yummy topado there.

https://londonfoodieny.wordpress.com/2009/07/14/topado/

Garifuna play some great music too.

Once again, I need to hook up next time I am down there! and a new dish to lust after.

This totally explains your Avatar.:rolleyes:

Nice.

For SWMBO, it would be Mofongo in PR. Mashed plantains stuffed with a variety of things, then deep fried. Or, in the area of @Curtis2010 - Carimanolas - mashed Yuca deep fried. ooooh the absolute deliciousness.

For both of us, ceviche, specifically Peruvian. In NYC, a place called Riko across the street from Penn Station has a great example. Almost makes up for Penn Station.

For me, I am divided between tacos lengua/tacos cabeza from Tacos Gordo in San Diego and a whole host of Korean food from a variety of places. Bulogogi, Korean short ribs, or even just fresh made kimchi.

Topado. A Garifuna (of African decent) dish found in the W Carib. It is like seafood bisque with the stock made from plantains. Very rich and chock with a variety of seafood. My home base is about 10 miles from Livingston, Guatemala, a mostly Garifuna community...several places with really yummy topado there.

https://londonfoodieny.wordpress.com/2009/07/14/topado/

Garifuna play some great music too.

Lots of Garifuna on the coast of Belize, and while I LOVED the drumming, I didn't find the food all that great- but then I'm not a huge fan of plantains and it seemed that lots of the food had plantains. There were some other things I loved, mostly seafood that was fried or grilled, and of course the world's best ceviche comes from the area.

Also, spiny lobster of course. Like a Belizean woman told me about lobster, "You aint gotta cook dem dose long, as dey's already ben swimmin' in de warm wadder". Like 5 minutes on the grill- done!

Lots of Garifuna on the coast of Belize, and while I LOVED the drumming, I didn't find the food all that great- but then I'm not a huge fan of plantains and it seemed that lots of the food had plantains. There were some other things I loved, mostly seafood that was fried or grilled, and of course the world's best ceviche comes from the area.

Also, spiny lobster of course. Like a Belizean woman told me about lobster, "You aint gotta cook dem dose long, as dey's already ben swimmin' in de warm wadder". Like 5 minutes on the grill- done!

Yes, the drumming is cool. If you liked the music then check out Andy Palacio. A more polished version of Garifuna music, but still very authentic.

Oh, and as far as regional food in my current home (where I've lived for 32+ years):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasty

pasty.jpg

It's got to have rutabagas, or it doesn't count as a pasty.

Thanks for sharing Yooper. A pasty looks like a fantastic winter comfort food. I'll be making some in the near future.

Cornish pastys are known to be really good. As the legend goes, the Devil himself won't go into Cornwall as he is afraid he'd get chopped up & cooked into a pasty.

Damn you, Alton Brown, for filling my head with such knowledge!

We have our buffalo wings, beef on weck, and Sahlen's hot dogs. As a kid, I always liked eating knishes (sp?) in NYC from food carts.

Mmmm ... Shrimp & grits.

You may like shrimp and eggs or shrimp and corn bisque.

Gumbo. With crab eyes.
Roast beef poboy or any poboy.
Wet ribs. Dry rub is good for some stuff, but ribs should be wet.
Brisket
Muffaletta
Chile relleno
Chili. With beans. I will fight you right now. Chili has beans. Gumbo has okra. These are the rules.

Does it count if the owner/cook brought their cooking with them?

Cause we have an amazing Austrian place. The rinderrouladen is wonderful. Grand sausages, last time i was there was rabbit soup to be had.

And then we have a great Korean place, loves me some bibimbap and a spicy eggplant dish.

Now an actual regional thing I like are Juicy Lucy. 58 Club. Lol sorry, I like to pick my cheese.

The other would be made rites. I guess its an Iowa thing. Basically sloppy joe with cream of mushroom soup.

I never knew hush puppies were a regional dish, I assumed they were served everywhere. Something about the smell of those hush puppies frying along with catfish that takes me back to being a kid, at the lake or on the river.

Biscuits and Gravy
Gumbo
Squirrel and Dumplings
Purple Hulls with ham hocks
Okra
Anything Asian

Some of my favorites.

Fresh abalone pulled out of the ocean on the california coast. I was so freakin spoiled growing up with how much of that stuff I ate. Dont get to dive anymore, not to mention way too out of shape to do it.

Fresh abalone pulled out of the ocean on the california coast. I was so freakin spoiled growing up with how much of that stuff I ate. Dont get to dive anymore, not to mention way too out of shape to do it.

All of the Abalone and Lobster that USED to be off the coast of California is now gone. Dilemma resolved.

Diving off of longboards... yep, you guessed it. History. We can now only live on through you...

:mug:

Sokolowski's in Cleveland for their polish & slovak food. Their pierogies, swimming in melted butter that onions have cooked in. lots of butter as a sauce for the pierogies with onions. Fried fish or chicken on the side with mashed potatoes & cabbage rolls &...&...&...&!!!
As for at home, pit bbq'd pork shoulder for pulled pork sammiches with cornbread & beans. Corn oysters are a great New England treat that came from one of their cookbooks dated 1939. Corn oysters are good with chili, chowder, seafood...I also love making fried chicken, using the remaining seasoned flour to make hushpuppies with, adding cornmeal, a little more flour, chopped green onion & baking powder.

Back