What's your favorite fall time beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman2U

Reaction score
It's that time of year again...Preparing for the cool fall nights by a campfire reminiscing of Halloweens gone by. Need to start thinking about it now, so the beer is ready for those late night football games. I am looking for a good brew that captures the essence of that feeling. So here are the 2 that I am thinking of brewing soon, and looking for a 3rd
1. Some sort of Octoberfest
2. Some sort of Apple cider
3. ???

Could use some help on finding a few different recipes, and/or different ideas on what you prefer on those cool nights. Yeah, I know, there is the search feature, but that is bland. I prefer discussion to find the best ideas

Well for me I like Porters, Imperial Stouts and IIPA's. Of the three I really enjoy most a nice Imperial Stout sitting by the fire pit with a nice strong cigar.

I'm planning a pumpkin porter this year. My last pumpkin wasn't great, but I tried a pumpkin porter at a homebrew meet and it was delicious! I was immediately sold! I don't plan to use actual pumpkin though, just spices.

I also plan on doing a strong scotch ale, but that might be more for the winter. Maybe a dubbel or quad would be nice.

I love fall, my bday is a few days before Halloween, so I always get excited for fall brews!

I'm planning a pumpkin porter this year. My last pumpkin wasn't great, but I tried a pumpkin porter at a homebrew meet and it was delicious! I was immediately sold! I don't plan to use actual pumpkin though, just spices.

I also plan on doing a strong scotch ale, but that might be more for the winter. Maybe a dubbel or quad would be nice.

I love fall, my bday is a few days before Halloween, so I always get excited for fall brews!

I knew I was forgetting something. I also really enjoy a Wee Heavy or a Scotch Ale.

same as hammy, fall means octoberfest to me. and my marzen is lagering as I wright this:D

bottomofthebarrel said:
i did a cider with Belgian Sasion yeast and cinnamon.
it was great and would be a perfect octoberish drink.
gonna make some more of that.

I not big on cider, but man that sounds good!

Love Russian Imperial stout, Big IPA's are some of my favorites, but Maredsous 10 from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat is my all time favorite. This is the beer that got me into drinking good beer ~10 years ago.

I need to try brew a clone of that

i did a cider with Belgian Sasion yeast and cinnamon.
it was great and would be a perfect octoberish drink.
gonna make some more of that.
I never really drink cider, but thought I would try one this year...Love apple and cinnamon, you got a recipe?

I love SA Octoberfest, I don't lager yet either so for now I'll have to buy it. It is may #1 favorite fall beer and my favorite SA offering.

I never really drink cider, but thought I would try one this year...Love apple and cinnamon, you got a recipe?

original was a 1 gallon batch:

1 gallon juice (i used whole foods 365 apple juice)
added yeast and blow off tube.
fermented on the porch, temp was between 84 - 88 degrees.
after 10 days, transfered to secondary.
after another 10 days, cold crashed.
added 1/8 cup apple juice concentrate as primining sugar and
2 tablespoons cinnamon.
really came into its own after about a month.
SG - 1.042
FG - 1.010
ABV - 4.2%

Porters, stouts, pumpkin ales.

I know some apfelwein grog will be on my list this year :D

Depends on the time of day for me and what I am up to but...

Oktoberfest? #@%* YA! I can't lager but I will have me some New Glarus Staghorn (my favy O'fest style beer) and some Lakefront River West Stein Beer (a close 2nd).

My fall would not be complete without this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/samhain-pumpkin-ale-140674/ hands down the best pumpkin beer I have ever tasted and I tried LOTS to compare it against. This is also the beer that disappeared the fastest to date. It goes great from just before Halloween all the way through Thanksgiving.

Can't forget about Black IIPAs, IMO perfect for the hop heads during Halloween season.

Brown ale is my session beer come late fall time. I know many think it is "bland" but I love me some SN Tumbler while stomping through the woods.

I will also have a "smoked whiskey barrel aged wee heavy" for those chilly fire sides and hunting camp evenings but that is more of a 1 of vs downing a 6er....

GL!

For fall I like stouts and porters, so I need to brew them soon.

I also have a couple of Belgians aging that are always good when the weather cools.

I'm brewing a dark ale now that I'm going to make wiskely out of. 8 year old Kentucky bourbon soaking into French medium toast oak chips in the fridge. That 4oz of chips is really soakin it up.:tank:

+1 for the Staghorn. My family and I went to New Glarus for Octoberfest last fall. Rented a farmhouse and had a blast!

To me,fall means Oktoberfest's!!And lots of it.In the meantime I have been brewing/drinking a lot of Ambers.

oktoberfest is my favorite fall style. after that, it's a pumpkin ale, then a cider. :mug:

for me, it is particularly hofbrau's oktoberfest. it's the blonde version of the style, like a kicked-up helles.... delicious.

Love oktoberfest have brewed midwest supplies' octoberfest the last two years and I always drink that keg the fastest. Fall is great because the stores get more Oktoberfest in too.

Oktoberfest. Good dose of Munich and melanoidin malt and Augustinerbrau yeast. Think Brooklyn Brewing Co.'s version. So good. Of course, if I wanted to do it correctly, I would've brewed it in March :/

Back