What's your best West Coast IPA recipe (not double)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublehaul

Reaction score
I've never been blown away by a (not double) west coast IPA I've brewed, except for an all Maris Otter IPA I brewed, that was really good. But I'm sitting on 40 lbs of 2 ROW so I'd like to brew with that.
I've tried recipes for Bell's Two Hearted, Sculpin, Zombie Dust, a bunch of my own and just never love them like the Double IPAs I've brewed. I think it might because the doubles are always simple - 90%+ 2 ROW and the single west coast IPAs usually have alot of crystal. Anyways -long story short - any single west coast IPA recipe suggestions?

I too pine (pun intended) for the days of the West Coast IPA.

If you perfect a recipe, please share.

While I’ve attempted the style numerous times, my hop management and oxygen minimizing techniques have kept me from getting anywhere close, so I can’t comment on which recipe is best.

West Coast IPA is my favorite style, I like them dank and bitter. I more or less keep the same grain bill and use s-05 for a yeast for all my IPAS. I'll give you a recipe for my session west coast IPA(came second in a competition), if you want it stronger just scale up the gravity and hop amount. My recipe for a session west coast IPA which comes in at 4.6% is as follows:

90% 2 row
6% Crystal 30
4% Carapils
As a rule, I always add a bit of honey malt to my IPAS, I didn't have it for this one but I like it in the 4 percent range.

Hops:
30 min: 5ml hopshot (yakima valley),
1 oz colombus
1oz centennial
1oz simcoe
1oz mosaic

I mixed the previous hops together and divided them in two bowls. Sprinkled one of these bowls in from 15 mins to 0 min whenever I wanted to and the second bowl got dropped in at flame out. I then proceeded to cool as normal.

Two dry hops, one at 7 days and one for 4 days, each containing the following.
1 oz of: colombus, centennial, simcoe, cascade.

Yeast: s-05

I keg with potassium metabisulfite, and I fine with gelatin.

Sulfate to chloride ratio of 3:1 btw.

Total of 12 oz of hops. My notes on this recipe was "need more hops"....

Last edited:
Total of 12 oz of hops. My notes on this recipe was "need more hops"...

you hop heads crack me up...i like the grain bill, but if i used 12oz's of hops in a beer...even a 10 gallon batch....i wouldn't be thinking i need more, i'd be crying my wallet was empty and sore! ;)

50% Pilsner+50% Maris Otter/Golden Promise - Crystal malt works well, I just don't use it with hoppy beers now.
Amarillo, Bravo, Citra, Comet, Simcoe
Yeast
60', 30' 15', flameout and whirlpool additions + dry hop
Someone mentioned a 3:1 sulfate ratio - It's more important how much of each you are actually using; if it's something like 90:30 ppm, then it's not nearly enough.

2.5-2.6 vol. CO2

This recipe is outstanding, and so is this Mad Fermentationist recipe which is very similar. It honestly deserves its own thread since its a great baseline for a modern west coast IPA. It won me my first gold medal out of 37 IPAs. I've rebrewed it 4 or 5 times with tiny tweaks that I thought would make it better, and it was never as good as the original.

https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2012/12/west-coast-ipa-recipe-hop-oil-analysis.html

Thanks all. Flaked wheat is interesting to have in a West Coast IPA. I think more NEIPA with flaked wheat in the grain bill.

Thanks all. Flaked wheat is interesting to have in a West Coast IPA. I think more NEIPA with flaked wheat in the grain bill.

I like to try to distinguish between a classic American IPA (clear, bitter, crystal malt, C hops) and a West Coast IPA (clear, mildly bitter, no crystal malt, mix of C hops and new world hops). I see West Coast IPA as kind of a small evolution within the style. At least that's how I think of it, I'm sure there are lots of different opinions.

The Mad Fermentationist West Coast recipe mentions Alpine Brewing specifically, who were making some of the most interesting and flavorful IPAs with hops like Simcoe, Amarillo and Nelson back in the mid 2000's.

Latest posts

Back