What's wrong with my new growth??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaylessBrewer

Reaction score
Just got home from a awesome week of vacation out in Colorado to find that all of the new growth (side arms) on my Centennial plant looks off. The leaves are a bit more yellow than they look in the pictures. The two Cascades that are in the same raised bed have no discoloration similar to what is on the cascades.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1467817081.517060.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1467817098.609316.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1467817128.941075.jpg

Wouldn't hurt to do a soil test. Nitrogen does move through the soil faster than phosphorus. It's almost to that time though that adding nitrogen might adversely affect hop flavor.

Nope, not nitrogen, you'd see yellowing starting in the leaves at the base of the plant moving up similar to this shot:
100_0776.jpg

Not magnesium (epsom salts) either, the plants get yellow in the leaf sections but green in the veins like this:
plate271.jpg

Thats a calcium deficiency in those troubled leaves. Go find CalMag or a CalMag-like product and follow the directions on the container. If you're looking for faster results, there should be foliar application rates on the bottle, it'll green em right up.

Nope, not nitrogen, you'd see yellowing starting in the leaves at the base of the plant moving up similar to this shot:
100_0776.jpg

Not magnesium (epsom salts) either, the plants get yellow in the leaf sections but green in the veins like this:
plate271.jpg

Thats a calcium deficiency in those troubled leaves. Go find CalMag or a CalMag-like product and follow the directions on the container. If you're looking for faster results, there should be foliar application rates on the bottle, it'll green em right up.

Thanks! I've been all over the Internet looking for some answers. I'll hit my local nursery tomorrow and grab some

Ok, so I took a leaf with me to the nursery today and they recommended that I get some Fertilome Tripe - Action insecticide, fungicide and miticide. Along with some Fertilome Yield Booster.
I'm going to mix them according to directions and and spray in the morning. Hopefully they help!
Here's the labels. If anyone has any advice please speak up. I'm a novice at growing hops and I don't want to kill my plants or make things worse.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1467924523.487001.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1467924584.013158.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1467924614.914022.jpg

Back