What's with head space in wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugeaud

Reaction score
I've only ever made mead before, and I've been pondering to idea of making wine for a while now. One thing I noticed though, is that in all the wine making posts a bunch of people are all like "Oh no, you need minimal head space or something bad is going to happen!!!" or something to that effect lol. And in mead making people rarely pay mind to head space and on those rare occasions it's usually when foam is exploding out of the airlock (And I repeat, extremely, rare occasions.). So what's going to happen if I have tons head space in my wine?

you need to top up your secondary so there is minimal oxygen exposure. The wine will taste better and it reduces the risk of vinegar

its more important to minimize the airspace when you age the wine, while its fermenting its not that big of deal because c02 collects on top of the wine anyways...You will find tons of different opinions on this, everyone makes their brew alittle bit different, some comercial wine makers dont even airlock their wine at all until they bottle it. Oxygen itself does not turn wine into vinegar but it will feed bacteria that does turn wine into vinegar. As long as you have some kind of method to keep this bacteria out of your wine it shouldnt turn into vinegar...

killer article on why wine turns to vinegar

http://www.winemakermag.com/stories...-homemade-wine-to-have-a-slight-vinegar-taste

Nail on the head Honda88!

As the Must/Wine goes through the primary fermentation stage it produces a layer of CO2 on top of the wine, within the vessel, which keeps bacteria from living in the wine if introduced... its impossible eliminate every rouge microbe!

During secondary fermentation the yeast in the Must/Wine isn’t as active due to lack of sugar/alcohol content so that layer of protective CO2 won't be as prevalent as in the primary stage.

Topping off the wine during secondary fermentation, along with the addition of Campden Tablets/Potassium Metabisulphite to your wine for sanitation, keeps the ambient air out of your wine which might contain harmful microbes.

Long story short... it makes your wine less vulnerable to rogue bacteria ruining your hard work.

Top off with another bottle of wine, grape juice (unfermented), or sanitized water and I Always recommend using an Air Lock!

Thanks a lot for the responses everyone. What if though you really can't top off in the secondary off like it's a one of a kind wine (Say, bitter cucumber wine jk YUCK) and also you can't water it down or else it would be too watered down? Could you put in a keg and purge with CO2 to keep bacteria out? Is this totally out of the question (i.e. will ruin the flavour)?

Look at it this way: If a 5 gallon carboy is 20” across, the radius would be
10”. 10” X’s itself is 100”.

100” x’s pi (3.14)=314 square inches. Now look at the neck of the carboy, let’s say it is 2”. That would make the radius 1”. 1” x’s itself is 1.
1 x 3.14 is: 3.14 square inches!

If you don’t fill your carboy (in the secondary) up to the neck, you would have 314 square inches of wine touching oxygen compared to 3.14 inches touching oxygen, therefore minimizing the risk of infection due to exposure to oxygen!

Thanks a lot for the responses everyone. What if though you really can't top off in the secondary off like it's a one of a kind wine (Say, bitter cucumber wine jk YUCK) and also you can't water it down or else it would be too watered down? Could you put in a keg and purge with CO2 to keep bacteria out? Is this totally out of the question (i.e. will ruin the flavour)?

Yes you could, but you can also sterilize some glass marbles and use them to fill the volume of liquid to the top of your carboy(secondary)!
PS. Those flat glass decorative marbles found at hobby stores are better than the round ones, They dont roll around disturbing the lees when jiggled!

you can take a chance but it will probably oxidize at the least it dont always turn to vin. but you are better off topping it . if you you dont you mau be able to get smaller bottles to work it in like i said you are taking a chance and it will effect the flavor of your wine istared out making it in 5 gallon stone jars like the old timers so i know

thats a good idea never tryed that with the marbles but it would work and is easier

Back