What's up with my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rehlgood

Reaction score
I brewed an IIPA today with an OG of 1.08. Used 8 oz of hops. First wort hopped and did a 90 minute boil. 3 hours later it looks like this! What the hell is it? My guess is sugars. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390183062.433908.jpg

I'd guess hops. But I don't think I know for sure. Your best bet is to drop it off with me and I'll take care of it.

Looks like the trub that will settle out. Did you use whirlfloc or irish moss during the boil?

I recommend using a plastic bucket instead of a carboy, then you don't have to look at it. Looks appetizing doesn't it?

Yes I used Irish moss. I did run it through a strainer though. Don't like plastic. It's a long story involving a midget a mannequin and a unicycle.

Did you siphon off your brew kettle leaving the cold break sediment in the brewkettle or you pour the entire contents from the kettle through the strainer?

It all settled and then started rising in clumps.

Yup, that's what break material in the fermenter does. Generally, not a big a deal. On somethign like the IIPA you brewed with lots of hops, there are varying opinions on whether or not the hops in the break can cause some vegetal off flavors. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, but I do try and transfer less trub than you did, particularly with hoppy beers.

I just poured it straight through the strainer. I was surprised because I have never had this much before.

I use a hops bag to keep large bits of hops out of the wort. My hops bag is a 1 dollar paint strainer bag but if you hate plastic you could use a muslin bag.

Other than that, I dump everything from my kettle into my fermenter (BIAB). Trub ain't poison! And it will settle out. If you leave that thing ferment and sit untouched for 2-3 weeks (I like 3 weeks), you will have a dense compact layer at the bottom that can be easily separated. Until then, don't tinker.

I typically do 3 weeks. I will start using a nylon hop bag for beers like this. Just hadn't happened before so I was curious. Normally my strainer catches it all. Thanks for all the help.

I typically do 3 weeks. I will start using a nylon hop bag for beers like this. Just hadn't happened before so I was curious. Normally my strainer catches it all. Thanks for all the help.

you can get break material that forms right inside the fermentor and the break material that forms in the kettle is not really strainable, it's way too fine. in any event there is nothing unusual or bad about seeing break material anywhere within a fermentor. if you used buckets or a stainless conical you would not even be aware of it.

Latest posts

Back