Whats this Munton can about?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballbuster

Reaction score
Got my brew kit this weekend and the export pilsner that came with it seems way to easy! Muntons directions say to pour the syrup in the fermenter, then pour the sugar over it (dont say how much) then pour the boiling water over it? 6 US pints it says! Top off with 5 US gals. of cold water and then stir. Goes against every thing I have ever seen or read.

What the f*%@? Need help fellas.

Sounds like you have a "just add water" kit. Everything's more or less already done, just follow the directions.

Then go out and get an extract or partial mash kit in preparation for the all-grain batch that will soon follow. ;)

Sounds like a no-boil kit. Never done one myself, but you can do it that way, or you can use the extract as the basis for some other kind of beer (which would probably include some DME or more LME and steeping grains). You have to remember that it's hopped, and unless you can find out what the bitterness of the extract is, you'll be winging it in that regard.

The most basic thing you could do would be to replace the sugar with DME (Dry Malt Extract). Then if you want to fiddle with steeping grains, go for it.

Are you set on making a pilsner? Does the can say anything about AA% or IBU or anything? Is this what you have? http://www.muntons.com/homebeer/countries/uk/connsr_export_pilsner.htm

Got to watch a guy do an all-grain batch on a tree yesterday morning from start to finish and man was that cool. Think I am hooked. As long as this tastes alright I guess its a good place to start. This just looks tooo easy. How much sugar, anyone.

Sorry guys. Some dumba#% that I know forgot to read the instructions under the lid!!!! Thanks for posting that site Moonpile. Without you I may have never taken the lid off!

Thanks Alabama, I just happened to read about that in the enclosed instructions that are provided by the nice folks at Muntons and neatly stashed away under the cleverly placed cap that hides the yeast and said instructions. Preciate the input guys.

You're welcome.

Basically your choices are to brew it by the book, which should be just fine, and give you practice with your gear, including siphoning and bottling. You'll have a very nice beer.

If you want to mess with it, let us know and we'll help you frankenstein it all up.

Frankenstein - OH NO.. Zombie Munton can beer!
ballbuster - Best of luck, I would at least boil the extract for a few minutes, add sugar towards the end, cool down to below 80F, and pitch the yeast.
To Frankenstein it, add two pounds of honey, one pound brown sugar. The honey would make it lighter tasting, the brown sugar would make it a little darker and add a little more body to counter act the honey. I just don't like using table sugar.

Adding honey is a bad idea for a newb. It'll add two weeks to the fermentation time, maybe longer. Honey ferments slowly. And in my experience, it's best in beers that are intended to age for a bit... after all, most folks say mead doesn't even get good until it's been sitting around for a year. I really don't think a newb is gonna want to wait a year to drink his beer. Why not stay with something that will ensure prompt drinkability? After all, this is his first beer, not his last...

Not the last by far HUMPS! I have an agenda to drink this first batch as soon as possible. I have been wanting to do this since 2000 and am finally getting around to developing a hobby besides WORKING. I have gathered up odds and ends for the last 2 years to build my brew sculpture with and finally decided I needed to stop supporting the big brewers. Bought the kit, have the man cave, gonna brew with the kit, gonna drink the beer, gonna brew another batch, gonna drink that beer, Etc.

ballbuster - OK, sounds like you need to start filling up the pipeline. Stop wasting time, brew the kit with the sugar recommended, and leave it to ferment as long as you can stand.
Then pick up some DME/LME with your next batch and use that instead of the sugar, can I say again I do not like sugar. ( SAM I AM).
Keep you eye open for materials to improve your system.
Old fridge thrown out, - Fermenting chamber - Add temp control and your getting high speed. Controlling the temperature is the biggest improvement I have ever made.
Biggest pot you can get a good boil on, and an Immersion Chiller or counter flow chiller. Then as you get sick of bottling, start stalking kegging systems.
Then, if you get bored there is always all grain, that opens up another reality for your sickness.
OK, you get the picture. You are going down the slippery slope, and we are happy to meet on the way down or at the bottom.
Have fun, keep everything clean and sanitized and you will make good beer.

Thanks Kauai, That is well put to the Noob. I am planning the brew for tomorrow night, I was planning for last night but one of my guys thought they needed my propane bottle adapter off of my burner. Good advice, I will cook this the way it calls out except I do plan to boil all of it together for awhile. I am stalking kegs and parts as we speak. Checking the classified daily, joined the local brew club and can hardly hold myself within myself. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Back