What's the state of fermentation temp controllers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have always been doing DIY temp and brew controllers. My brewhouse is run by a Craftbeer Pi, and my fermentation is a self created Arduino with a simple temp control algorithm and 3 line LCD. They have both served me well so far. I'm happy with my Craftbeer Pi for now. For fermentation I'm currently running a makeshift glycol system using an old chest freezer and a conical. It would be nice to have a two channel controller to set temps for both the glycol and the conical.

I am starting to feel like something a bit more robust would be best for my fermentation. I tend to have infrequent malfunctions with my Arduino. I've never taken the time to build a proper enclosure, and the unit is sensitive to being jostled, etc. I think it's time to buy something off the shelf that I won't have to tinker with.

For fermentation I feel like reliability outweighs extra features. I'd rather have it be rock solid than be able to do lots of functions. That said, if it was a good unit with company support, I wouldn't mind having a nice screen or wifi access.

It seems like the commercially available fermentation temp controllers seems to be turbulent. Many of the most promising advanced units have come and gone out of business.

What are people using for fermentation control? Does anybody have a recommendation?

I run the legacy (Arduino based) version of BrewPi to control my three chambers and my keezer. The Arduinos that run the actual algorithms and control the heat and cool relays are darned near bullet-proof, I've never had one fail in almost five years.

I haven't automated my hot side, my brew rig is still an armstrong model (totally manual), so while I have been following various packages that integrate hot and cold side functions I haven't opted to go with any of the them. That said, if I was going to automate the hot side I'd go with BruControl as I feel it's the most robust for both sides with smart folks behind it...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/brucontrol-brewery-control-automation-software.624198/

Cheers!

This programmable PID controller for Auber has been in service in my home brewery for almost a year now controlling the glycol pump with not a single mishap:

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=4

The downside is it does not have anything fancy such as WiFi or Bluetooth, but that is true of most industrial automation equipment. To keep the glycol at target temp I use a simple STC1000 to turn the chest freezer on and off.

Those are both good solutions. I would put both of them more on the DIY side of the equation. I would still need to turn them into a complete system and create some kind of enclosure, power supply etc.

I might be better off just using two STC1000's in a simple box. At least that would minimize the fabrication and wiring.

Back