What's the most extreme conditions you've brewed in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally brewed while skydiving. You have no idea how hard it is to keep a propane burner lit and wort in the pot at terminal velocity.

Not really of course. Just sounded "extreme".

I think the hottest its been when brewing (at least outside, probably a bit warmer inside the garage) was around 105 and the coldest was about 28. The cold is harder than the hot since I have to worry about the garden hose freezing. The first cold day it froze between filling and chilling so I had to take it inside to thaw out. Now whenever I brew in freezing weather I bring my water from inside and only use the hose for chilling

Really wish I had running water in the garage

Wife nagging, toddler on a rampage, no beer in the house, and all the neighbors asking "whats cooking". Temps were 90's and the humidity was so high you could see clouds form above the ground. Took twice as long to boil off half the needed volume to hit target gravity.

It was brutal and is why I resorted to taking off from work to brew.

I brewed in driving snow this year, without a shelter/roof. It wasn't supposed to snow, so I doughed in, and then it unleashed. Once you dough in, you're making beer, and I brew outside- can't sustain a full boil indoors. Beer turned out great.

I brewed in driving snow this year, without a shelter/roof. It wasn't supposed to snow, so I doughed in, and then it unleashed. Once you dough in, you're making beer, and I brew outside- can't sustain a full boil indoors. Beer turned out great.

Jeez, that's a common thing when I brew during the winter. I'm brewing this weekend, and the temps are supposed to hit a scorching 25c, and believe me that's hot for these parts.

i brewed my oatmeal stout in three feet of snow, it wasnt snowing but was ass cold! I live near big bear california in the san bernardino mountains. hey man when you need oatmeal stout you really need it

I brewed a double IPA with the stomach flu. I was pukin' and everything else between mash, vorlaf, hop additions and chillin'. One of my best beers! I named it Tummy Buster IPA

I brewed in the winter. No school bus so we had to walk uphill both ways. There was no school bus b/c the snow was was butt-hole deep to an elephant. Ogh yeah, one winter mom didnt make enough money to buy us shoes... no wait.... thats not the right story.

I have brewed from sub zero to over 100*
Humidity from 10 to 90%
Blizzard conditions to beautiful sunny day

The only time I really dont like to brew is in September when the yellowjackets are pissed off because they are about to die. They are drawn to the wort like a yellowjacket drawn to wort.... no wait.... a moth to a flame.

I have been drinking.

I think I consumed more brew than I brewed during one brewing session, but I don't really remember it very well... the beer came out, well, uh... a little strong. Dunno who's idea it was to add a container of honey to the thing...

10 degrees with 20mph winds. It was cold, but I didn't wear gloves because my gloves are dirty and I didn't want the crap in my beer!

Sunny great day, 75, grillin food while brewing, lost focus, wort chiller hose melted, turned the hose on and it sprayed my wife, she ran and slipped and fell on her nose. By the time she made me check the beer, it was 2.5 hours later, in a wind and rain storm. She named the beer and loved it. It was good.

I brewed my first all grain in a tropical storm! Outside since I live in a 1 bedroom apartment. That was the most stressfull brew ever

I brewed once when it was snowing. It sucked big time to maintain a good mash temp. I didn't have a water cooler/mash tun back then, I was mashing in a regular fermentation bucket. Let me see I probably brewed the weakest tripel on the face of the earth that day. Tasted like vomit. I still have bottle of it left with the hope that it might turn out decent someday.

In each of the past two years school got canceled because of cold weather. In Wisconsin that means it was around 15 below WITHOUT the wind chill, around -30 with the wind. I put on my Carhartts, went outside and brewed both times. It was either that or go fishing.

Back