Whats the inside of your look like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brauhausjoe

Reaction score
I have seen many pictures of the outside weld on keggles. I have see many pictures of the inside of Bad Welds. But I aint never seen pictures of what "good" welds are supposed to look like. Read about it, but I, like so many others am a graphical guy......

Show us the inside weld of them keggles!

Here is mine:

keggle21small.jpg

Hope it is not to big

and yes the threads are good :D

I am still learning

Learning or not, you got them together.:mug:

Its a bit late for me tonight (I have to be to work at 4:30AM) and this thread really isn't geared for welding questions but, I would like to talk with you about welding if you would like.

Learning or not, you got them together.:mug:

Its a bit late for me tonight (I have to be to work at 4:30AM) and this thread really isn't geared for welding questions but, I would like to talk with you about welding if you would like.

Me too, not 4:30 but close enough. I would love to have more discussions.

No more takers? I am just curious to see what other folks have out there. There has to be 100's of keggles out there. No one wants to show the inside? This is purely for the education of the community.

Thanks!

I have seen many pictures of the outside weld on keggles. I have see many pictures of the inside of Bad Welds. But I aint never seen pictures of what "good" welds are supposed to look like. Read about it, but I, like so many others am a graphical guy......

Show us the inside weld of them keggles!

Here is mine:

keggle21small.jpg

Hope it is not to big

and yes the threads are good :D

That welding beats the hell of what I has done at the local welding shop. Did you do the welds. I so, are you for hire? I won't show the inside of mine.:eek:

That welding beats the hell of what I has done at the local welding shop. Did you do the welds. I so, are you for hire? I won't show the inside of mine.:eek:

Right now I am just a hobbyist. Still learning, thats why I am trying to see what the insides look like; to make sure I am going down the right path.

Here are the outsides, which look beautiful.
IMG_3226.JPG

The insides, however, aren't so good, but it gets boiled every time I use it. I wish I had heard about solar flux before having these welded. The welder thought back gassing was a pain in the ass and not needed. Sorry these pics are from my phone but you get the idea. Sugaring.
photo45.jpg

photo46.jpg

Is there an easy way to remove this crap? It would seem than no amount of scrubbing/scotch brite/bkf removes it all.

Here are the outsides, which look beautiful.
IMG_3226.JPG

The insides, however, aren't so good, but it gets boiled every time I use it. I wish I had heard about solar flux before having these welded. The welder thought back gassing was a pain in the ass and not needed. Sorry these pics are from my phone but you get the idea. Sugaring.
photo45.jpg

photo46.jpg

Is there an easy way to remove this crap? It would seem than no amount of scrubbing/scotch brite/bkf removes it all.

Thanks for the photos! I dont know of an easy way. :( The only way I know of removing it is a grinder....

I guess the big question is: What does it matter what the weld looks like on the inside of your keggle as long as you're not fermenting in it. I don't know about you, but all the welds on my system are exposed to the wort before or during the boil....

Unless you are just bringing attention to good welding techniques,.... if it holds water, It's a beautiful weld!

I guess the big question is: What does it matter what the weld looks like on the inside of your keggle as long as you're not fermenting in it. I don't know about you, but all the welds on my system are exposed to the wort before or during the boil....

Unless you are just bringing attention to good welding techniques,.... if it holds water, It's a beautiful weld!

I dont know. For me, I like the clean look and ability to wipe it down like a commercial pot. I am not sure if the rough areas, sugaring, or valleys cause problems? From just a finished product stand point, why do the commercial manufacturers clean theirs up? Maybe they do it just for looks?

I dont know. For me, I like the clean look and ability to wipe it down like a commercial pot. I am not sure if the rough areas, sugaring, or valleys cause problems? From just a finished product stand point, why do the commercial manufacturers clean theirs up? Maybe they do it just for looks?

Well, it certainly looks better, so that may be the biggest reason. Or, they have no certainty that you will be boiling in it for an hour. One could purchase the kettle and do other things in it, that might cause an issue.

Most people know that if they have a rough area, or pock marks, they need to boil to kill everything. If you use the kettle for something else, then the potential for infection is there.

Well, it certainly looks better, so that may be the biggest reason. Or, they have no certainty that you will be boiling in it for an hour. One could purchase the kettle and do other things in it, that might cause an issue.

Most people know that if they have a rough area, or pock marks, they need to boil to kill everything. If you use the kettle for something else, then the potential for infection is there.

Good points, I did not think of that. Could it be said that the rough area or pock marks could add a higher risk of infection? I dont want to get to far off topic, just curious.

Thanks!

They do it to meet standards. The finish on any piece of equipment needs to meet a standard so as not to harbor bacteria. The same goes for welds. The outsides are polished off cause they can get to them. The insides aren't polished unless it is on the end of a run. Back gas is needed to allow the molten material inside to form a nice pretty bead. If a purge weld is done proper it will look like the outside does. Only more clean cause the torch cannot provide a constant gas environment. Any welds that are left must meet standard as well. This is why most any weld for a sanitary environment is just a fusion weld. When ever possible they try not to add any wire.

This is an example of a purge weld. This is the outside.
1202090543.jpg

This is the inside of the same weld.
1202090542.jpg

i thought they were suppose to go half way in and half way out!!! lucky i didn't weld them yet... i was going to center them
0==|==0
like that or something!!

hmm.. so I'm not wrong.... not sure what I'm going to do now!! damnit

No I have the step bit... why?

Cause you said you were lucky that you haven't welded them in yet. I was thinking if you had drilled them so the coupling would pass through then there is no real difference.

OH i didn't even know that the drill holes were going to be different... so much to learn... i have 3 kegs and a drill bit and a few 1/2" couplers.... waiting.. but it's cold outside and there's a lot of snow... lol

OH i didn't even know that the drill holes were going to be different... so much to learn... i have 3 kegs and a drill bit and a few 1/2" couplers.... waiting.. but it's cold outside and there's a lot of snow... lol

If your gonna weld a coupling to the outside of the keegle or do a weld less fitting then I would drill a 7/8" hole. If your gonna put the coupling half in half out then your gonna need a bigger hole. I say bigger cause coupling come in different sizes. There are ones with a casting look to them and there are ones that are turned on a lathe.

Back