What's The Expiration Date On Home Brew Wine Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PakDat

Reaction score
I am thinking to make some wine in a couple weeks. I was wondering about the longevity of the wine kits. How long will they last in the bottle until it goes bad.

I drink not to get drunk, I drink because of the flavor.

This was taken from the Wine Expert website:

Winexpert doesn't publish an expiration date for our wine kits, since they don't 'expire,' as such. Our guideline is for users to make their kits in a time period 12-18 months from the packing day, depending on the conditions under which the kit has been stored during that time. Because of their higher brix and acid content, smaller-volume kits (under 15 litres) tend to have a longer shelf-life, while larger-volume (15 litres and over) last for a bit shorter timespan.

It's important to note that the kits don't suddenly stop being viable. They may have oxidised a bit, if storage conditions were not optimal, and this could result in some loss of fruit character or aromatics. But on the whole, they still turn out quite well. In fact, without a side-by-side comparison with fresher kits, most people simply don't notice a difference.

So basically while they say that they don't expire, the suggest that you use them within a certain time frame, that sounds a lot like an expiration date..lol

From the RJ Spagnols website:

Q. What is the shelf life of the kit? How do I know how old it is?
A. On the label that says the type of wine you have is a date code, this is the day the kit was manufactured. The code is simple, YYYYMMDD, so a kit that has 20070214 was made on February 14, 2007. If they are stored correctly 4 week kits will last 18 months, 6 week kits will last 12 months. After that the quality will begin to decline, the juice oxidizes just like wine does.

A few months ago I grabbed a zin kit from a LHBS that was having a clearance sale, for half price. The kit was made in December of 2012. I was a little apprehensive but couldn't pass up on a half priced Winery series kit so went for it. The juice seemed to be okay and the grape packs were good too. I just threw away the yeast that game in the kit and used some fresh yeast. So far it seems to be okay, but I guess I will see in a year and a half how it turns out.

Well I'm curious about how long the wine last after you brew it and put it in the bottle. I read that some wines only last for a year and the others last for 3 years. Seems like there isn't a definite answer.

The amount of time a wine will store depends a lot more on the cork you use, storage conditions, and the type of wine, than the age of the juice.

Back