whats the difference? taps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fshnne1

Reaction score
I am getting ready to order taps, just getting a keg setup going for the first time. I see the standard taps but what really does a stout tap do? anyone have a way to make a shank without spending $20.00 each? and yet another good diagram for a manifold to control multi hoses (gas)

A good stout handle allows you to control the flow of the stout down to a trickle, which allows for a great pour on a thick stout. It is not required but it sure is nice. I don't know of any way around buying shanks, but I am sure it could be done. But a good shank with a clean bore is going to help with a nice pouring brew. Doesn't your brew deserve the best?

BP handled the stout / shank answer but i'm going to add.
Do not buy the standard faucet, buy the Perlick or Shirron forward seal instead.

More money but they will not stick.

what is the best prise for a Perlick or Shirron you could find?

A stout tap also has a plate in it the helps generate the tiny bubbles for a creamy head.

if you use a stout tap with a CO2 setup, your going to end up with a bubble beer bath... the plates in stout taps designed to generate a tightly packed head, will produce nothing but that if not run through with a nitrogen or nitrogen/CO2 (beer gas) set up!

Back