• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Connecticut What's the best strategy for selling all your gear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

37OliveStBrews

Reaction score
Hi all,
Sadly over the past two years I realize I have no time for the hobby now that we have started a family. I am looking to sell all my all grain and miscellaneous brewing gear. I am wondering if it's best to try and sell the whole set or piece it out.
Hopefully I will get back into the hobby but if I do I will go all electric.

Thanks for the advice,
Ron aka 37OliveStBrews

Don't give up! I've read post in here with lots of new moms and dads brewing! You just have to plan it out!!!

Best thing I've done for new family life brewing has been switching my brew days from late afternoon to early, early, morning. Just swap out the home brew you have in hand to a coffee and you're good to go. I agree, don't give up!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just started brewing again after a good ten plus years, prolly closer to fifteen, hiatus from the hobby. Kept it in the basement and knew I'd get back to it. Got back into it the last couple of years and really glad I don't have to go out and rebuy everything. Hang onto your gear. You'll get time some time in the future and be glad you did.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Without speaking directly to if you should stay in brewing or not - but more around the idea of if it's better to bundle or piece things out.

It depends on what you have. If you have a lot of stuff, from all grain equipment to a stand and burners to kegging equipment and kegerator I think it's better to piece things out - or at a minimum bundle like things together (i.e. CO2 tank, regulator, lines, connectors, keg). If you're got a basic starter kit but have added a bottle tree and a pot to it, just sell it in one bundled package.

It's more hassle to piece things out but expect to have to discount it quite a bit if you bundle everything together since most people buying a bundle are going to need to turn around and sell 20-80% of what they bought since they only wanted a couple of things.

Best thing I've done for new family life brewing has been switching my brew days from late afternoon to early, early, morning. Just swap out the home brew you have in hand to a coffee and you're good to go. I agree, don't give up!

This. I have two kids under three and a bunch of house related projects and I have been able to squeeze out 1-2 days a month to brew. I start at around 6 and I am usually back in the house by 10-11 at the latest. I clean as I go and try to plan as much in advance as possible. I also switched to kegging which saved all that bottle time.

That said, do whats best for you. Family is important. More important than beer, regardless of how delicious it is.

EDIT: I didn't even answer your question which was rude. When selling anything like this, I usually try to sell it in one shot, or in logical groups (kegs, co2 tank, reg....pots and mash tun...carboys and buckets).

The best way to sell if you must is piece meal. That said, I quit brewing back in the late 1980's due to family and work time constraints. I just got back into it about a year ago and regret that I waited so long. If you don't need the money, just pack it away for when time presents itself again. Or when the time comes when you need that 5 gallons instead of a six pack - if you have daughters - when dating starts you'll need it and a shotgun or chainsaw. I speak from experience.

To answer your question... Sell now while prices are insanely high. The "fad" is really hyper inflating the prices. A few years from now, you'll be able to buy everything back used for a fraction of the price. Piecing out will get you the highest return. Posting here and CL are your best bet. Be willing to ship if you post here.

Keep a few things though so you can still small batch BIAB when time permits.

On a personal level, I'd store everything away and hope to have the time in the future.

Back