Whats the best Honey wheat kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Northern brewer one is tasty and probably the cheapest. It's the only one I've made but it was good.

Don't expect a whole lot of honey flavor, it just tastes like a lighter/thinner wheat beer. If you want more of a weizen character be sure to use a weizen yeast, the kit comes with American Wheat.

It's great, but it tastes more like a commercial American wheat than a hefeweizen with honey in it.

I just brewed the AHS Honey Wheat last weekend. The other two Honey Wheats I brewed were kits from my LHBS, but they were much more expensive than the AHS kit. They turned out excellent and my wife likes it. But I'm still trying to find a cheaper kit with the same flavor.

Anyone tried the AHS Honey Wheat before?

I just brewed the AHS Honey Wheat last weekend. The other two Honey Wheats I brewed were kits from my LHBS, but they were much more expensive than the AHS kit. They turned out excellent and my wife likes it. But I'm still trying to find a cheaper kit with the same flavor.

Anyone tried the AHS Honey Wheat before?

What is LHBS?

I did a midwest hefeweizen kit, I believe it was the bavarian hefe kit...and added 2.5 lbs of honey at 40 minutes into the boil.

I got some VERY light honey flavor but mostly a honey aroma...it turned out well I think. I think if you want mor ehoney flavor add it super late in the boil or maybe even in secondary...

I brewed up the Midwest HW kit (extract). I used the Weihenstephan Weizen Wyeast option. It is prolly the best beer i have ever brewed. Everyone has loved it. If you just pour it out it is clear and tastes ok but when you pour it out and leave a little to get the settled yeast into suspension then that massive flavors can be tasted.

I say what ever kit you brew make sure you get the correct style of liquid yeast to maximize flavor.

I brewed this too and really did not like the flavor at all. Used the same yeast..I have dumped most of the batch. Just a gamey strong taste imparted by the honey..sounds like your may have come out better.
Honey weizen from Mid West..,all grain

Thanks for the info. Sounds like if I add honey to do it about midway or 2/3 thru the boil.

Latest posts

Back