What's that 'Cider' like taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZooBrew

Reaction score
I've been brewing for several months now and a batch of Pale Ale I started in July has a slight cidery after taste. Is this an infection I picked up along the way?

Thanx for the replies. I primed it with corn sugar in a bottling bucket. Checking my log book, I was a bit heavy because I like the carbination. Could over priming it cause the cidery taste?

It might be young. How long did it ferment? How long has it been in the bottles?

It could also be estery fruit flavors from hot fermentation. What was your fermentation temperature?

76 degrees stable, 12 days in primary, 10 days in secondary, 26 days in bottle. Yeah, I'm thinking it might be young, too.

if the room temp was at 76 it possible that the wort was 80 which could explain the off taste. its more likely to taste green from the temp then from age since its 48 days old. you should also keep it in the fridge for at least 48 hours before drinking it.

put a few bottles in the fridge for a week and try them, see if they taste better. you will have time and cold bottle conditioning on your side.

american ale yeast needs to ferment around 65-68 for that clean, crisp taste you find in sierra nevada and other American Pale Ales.

a few degrees, no big deal, but in an extract pale ale, id say that the extra ten degrees or more of temp made the difference

Excessive carbonation can cause a "sharp" flavor that might seem cidery to some palates. IIRC, it comes from the additional carbonic acid in the fluid while the CO2 is in solution.

I'd call foul on the fermentation temp before other items. That's pretty high.

Most important things in brewing are quality of ingredients, cleanliness, and temperature control. Get those variables in hand and you'll have great beer pretty much every time.

Back