What's takin' so long???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougBrown

Reaction score
I'm brewing up some gingerbeer (not ginger 'beer' -- this is like the soft drink but alcoholic). I started it with only three ingredients (besides water): sugar -- about 6 lbs/1.055 SG, 1 tablespoon molasses, yeast nutrient. It's been 6 days now and the SG is still 1.040. Usually when I make cider from 100% fruit (also SG 1.055) it's down to 1.010 in 6 days. This is the second time I've made it and the same thing happened the first time I thought it was just a fluke then, but... It ended up great the first time but took a really long time. (I didn't put the ginger and other additives in until the ferment was done -- SG .995). I put this recipe together from various ones on the web and my starting protocol was common. I keep thinking that there's just not enough "stuff" (fruit juice goodies) in it at the beginning for the yeast, but I dunno. Any ideas?

I have the exact same problem, usually rack or bottle after 3 weeks, but now after 3w the SG is 1040 (started at 1060) I'm using US-05 for the first time, temperature is around 17-18 Celsius (62.6-64.4 Fahrenheit) I on the other hand have ginger from the beginning.

I don't get it. Too many people have reported stuck or slow fermentations with EC-1118 lately. That's normally a powerhouse yeast that'll ferment bath water. I wonder if Lalvin has a bad batch out in circulation or something.

Doug, can you add some yeast nutrient?

Do you mean more than what I put in at the beginning (which was about 3/4 tablespoon)? It's fermenting in the secondary quite vigorously so I know it will get there, eventually...

Dave --
I don't see how it can be the yeast. I've been fermenting stuff all fall with yeast from the same batch (I bought a box of 100) and everything is doing/has done fine.
Doug

Do you mean more than what I put in at the beginning (which was about 3/4 tablespoon)? It's fermenting in the secondary quite vigorously so I know it will get there, eventually...

OK then, if it's still going then let it rock. The good news is that the longer it takes to finish the more flavor and aroma the cider will have.

Latest posts

Back