What's old is new again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braindead0

Reaction score
Registered here in 2008.. came back to post on the chocolate mead page (was a great resource). Figured a proper introduction is in order.

Started making mead over 30years ago, we had a beehive on the roof (in suburbia Southern California no less ;-) so honey was easy to get. Mase an orange melomel, was okay... really shined as a marinade for rabbit so my parents (I was 15 at the time) we're 100% on board with my alcohol hobby ;-)

Moved back to the west side of the country just about 5 years ago, after a ~15year exile in Ohio.. didn't do much mead making there.. not sure why. Married a long time friend, got tired of humidity and moved to Reno.

I got back into mead making, my wife is an artist and for her making the labels is a fun bit of art that also helps expose more people to her work. First good batch I made "Sage Grouse Sage" (see attached for label) we took a bottle down to our local favorite bar and the bartender served it up for anyone that wanted. It was quite a hit (free booze, who's going to complain!). So that turned into a 'thing', every batch is tasted there. We also have had one yearly tasting so far, should be doing that again near the end of the year where we bring a couple of bottles of everything done that year.

I've taken to some pretty crazy experimenting. Prickly Pear mead was a smash hit (not very crazy), Jerky mead.. not so much (although the bartender loves it). Did one we called 'Yickity Yak" which tasted almost exactly like constant comment tea (which was the goal). I nailed Chili Mango (smells/tastes just like those chili covered dried mango slices) however it was a bit spicy for me.. marinade a pork shoulder.. slow cook it and ...fine tacos and burritos.

Next year I intend to make BLT mead... weird because I'm not a big BLT fan, but I do LOVE bacon.. and it sounds like a challenge to balance right.

My motto is "if it sucks to drink it'll still make good marinade".

If anyone is up around Reno Nevada, you can follow me on @boondockmead on twitter... I announce new tastings several days before hand... they happen at Beck's Brewhouse..

Right now I'm sitting on 4 cases waiting for labels, my art department (aka wife) has been busy with several projects with deadlines... If you like the attached label art you can see more of her work at www.poxodd.com

I think that sums it up. I'm not sure how much time I'll have to contribute here, but I'll certainly drop by when I can.

sagegrouse.jpg

Wish I could afford to try mead making. but enough honey for 5 gallons worth is too rich for my blood. Cool label though, very professional!

Wish I could afford to try mead making. but enough honey for 5 gallons worth is too rich for my blood. Cool label though, very professional!

I am with you on this, but I have some 1 gallon glass jugs, I think I am going to give it a try soon, 1 gallon at a time. Heck I can't even afford to buy a bottle of mead right now (rough oilfield economy)....

Last edited:
Well, I do have a 1 gallon carboy & a 2 gallon plastic bucket I just bought for making 1 gallon batches of wine for SWMBO?...How much honey would it take for one gallon? Gotta dig out that issue of BYO...speaking of which, the new one just came in!:ban:

Welcome back. I've been making 1 gallon batches for a while. 3 pounds of honey per gallon. Can't go wrong.

I buy honey in bulk usually $3-$4 a pound works out to about $2 a bottle, and yup 3# a gallon can't really go wrong..

My wife also does the labels and artwork for Mabinogion Mead, funny story.. when I first got setup to make mead again I had a 6 gallon batch of peach melomel fermenting.. then out of the blue the founder of Mabinogion Mead contacted my wife, he'd seen some of her art online..somewhere and loved her style. Just one heck of a weird coincidence..

Back